TSM Upgrade to 7.1

DArKer

Newcomer
Reaction score
Anyone has test about TSM 7.1?
I try to upgrade TSM from 6.3.4 to 7.1 in silent mode and got error from IBM installation manager
>install.bat -s -acceptLicense -vmargs "-DBYPASS_TSM_REQ_CHECKS=true"
ERROR: Create a password for secure communications.

I try another way to user console mode
install.bat -c -vmargs "-DBYPASS_TSM_REQ_CHECKS=true"
but I got:
1. ERROR: The system does not meet the minimum memory requirement of 12 GB.

Anyone know how to install TSM 7.1 and skip prerequisite check please help me.

I try to upgrade TSM from 6.3.4 to 7.1 in silent mode and got error from IBM installation manager

but I got:

You cannot skip the pre-requisite checks. This is one thing mentioned in the briefing - make sure you have the minimum requirements or TSM will not install properly.

Thank you moon-buddy.
So I need 12GB memory machine to install TSM.:(

12GB is the minmum.

16 GB if you are using data deduplication.

At least 32 GB for heavily used servers.

If you plan to run multiple instances, each instance requires the memory listed for one server. Multiply the memory for one server by the number of instances planned for the system.

Node replication processing requires additional memory.
Use a minimum of 32 GB of memory for node replication without data deduplication. Node replication with data deduplication requires a minimum of 64 GB of memory.

When you create the active log, you need at least 64 GB of memory to run replication. If replication and deduplication are both being used, create an active log of 128 GB in size.

Good Luck,
Sias

You cannot skip the pre-requisite checks. This is one thing mentioned in the briefing - make sure you have the minimum requirements or TSM will not install properly.

[h=1]Windows: Installing Tivoli Storage Manager by using the installation wizard[/h] You can install or update Tivoli® Storage Manager by using the IBM® Installation Manager graphical wizard.
[h=2]Before you begin[/h]
Ensure that you review the following important information about installing the server:
  • Verify that the operating system is set to the language that you require. By default, the language of the operating system is the language of the installation wizard.
  • ngwin.gif
    The user ID that you are using during installation must be a user with local Administrator authority.
On test servers only: Use the following command to bypass prerequisite checks such as the operating system and the required memory. Do not issue this command on a production server.
ngwin.gif

install.bat -g -vmargs "-DBYPASS_TSM_REQ_CHECKS=true"

Please see my post on #1, I already use this option but the requirement check is still occurred.

Please see my post on #1, I already use this option but the requirement check is still occurred.

I know DArKer, the reply was to other guy, because the option that you used, is from ibm official documentation, but it don't have effect!

I have the same problem. I will try install individual packages in lab server and I will keep you uptodate.

regards

Hello @Alexandre and @DArKer - did you get any further bypassing the 12 GB RAM installation restriction?

-- David Mc
London, UK

I know DArKer, the reply was to other guy, because the option that you used, is from ibm official documentation, but it don't have effect!

I have the same problem. I will try install individual packages in lab server and I will keep you uptodate.

regards

This is precisely the reason I said - it cannot bypass the prerequisite check.

The confusion here would appear to be that the IBM documentation does very clearly state that the prerequisite check can be bypassed (on test servers only) using the flag.

I'll chase this up and get an official response.

but I got:

Did you try using the wizard method for windows?
install.bat -g -vmargs "-DBYPASS_TSM_REQ_CHECKS=true"

The linux version worked on test box with only 4GB of memory.
./install.sh -g -vmargs "-DBYPASS_TSM_REQ_CHECKS=true"

Hi there,

if you allready tried to install, you might have installed the Installation Manager with your first try. So the install.bat -g (etc) won´t work for this case. You must start the already installed Installation Manager with these Options, otherwise it will not accept them. I had precisely that problem, an other way could be to get rid of the installed Installation Manager first. If it not already installed, then I don´t know either...

So, we've been working through this here and have found a couple of things that work for us, allowing us to skip the TSM 7.1 installation prerequisite check for 12 GB RAM (useful for test/demonstration installations).

In summary, invoking the TSM 7.1 Linux installer (install.sh) with the -vmargs "-DBYPASS_TSM_REQ_CHECKS=true" didn't let us skip past the prerequisite checks, as advised by the IBM TSM Information Center 7.1 docs.

A workaround for us was to install the Installation Manager on its own first of all (using the install.sh utility); then to invoke Installation Manager directly with the `-vmargs ...` flag - on Linux the GUI installer was via:

/opt/IBM/InstallationManager/eclipse/IBMIM -vmargs "-DBYPASS_TSM_REQ_CHECKS=true"

and the CLI installer via

/opt/IBM/InstallationManager/eclipse/tools/imcl -c -vmargs "-DBYPASS_TSM_REQ_CHECKS=true"

Another option was to append -DBYPASS_TSM_REQ_CHECKS=true into Installation Manager's options file /opt/IBM/InstallationManager/eclipse/IBMIM.ini

Note that the installer does still flag up that the system does not meet the prerequisites, but instead of reporting an Error that puts a hard stop on the installation, reports a 'Warning' that allows the installation to continue.

Bypassing prerequisite checks

If Installation Manager is already installed on the system, you will have to bypass the prereq checks by add the
-DBYPASS_TSM_REQ_CHECKS=true
to the IBMIM.ini file. This file is located where ever Installation Manager is installed. On windows for example, it might be in
c:\Program FIles\IBM\Installation Manager\eclipse\IBMIM.ini

but I got:

Back