TSM Upgrade by export and import

Chandra

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm planning to upgrade my TSM version from 6.3.3 to 7.1.5.
My plan is install 7.1.5 in another server and import the data from 6.3.3

Has anyone have done export and import of TSM server?

or any other simple methods migrate the data to new server?

Thanks in advance

Regards,
Chandra Mohan

If you are reusing the storage (disk/tape) on the new server, it would be quicker to upgrade the old server to 7.1.5, backup the DB, shut it down. Flip the storage over, install 7.1.5 and restore the DB. Alternatively, you could install 6.3.3 on the new server, flip the storage, restore the DB, then upgrade to 7.1.5. Same difference.

If are are using new storage on the new server, then the answer is yes you have to export/import, than that's not only the best method, but the only method. Unless you hook up the new storage to the old server, create new pools and do a much of move data/nodedata to get the data to the new storage, in which case you could follow the same method as using the same storage because the new storage becomes the existing storage of the old server.

Thanks Marclant

You made my work simple :)

We are using the same storage(tape) and Disk will be from new storage.
I hope this wouldn't be a problem because scheduler is running everyday to migrate data from Diskpool to tape.

Planning to install 7.1.5, backup DB from 6.3.3 and restore to 7.1.5.

2 doubts for clarification:
1. How to flip a storage?
2. What is the latest version of TSMSTA? Hope is 6.4 if any in 7.1 could you share link for downloading

I've been here, done this before... if it were me:

1) Migrate all the data on your existing server to tape so your disk storage pools are empty and the volumes are gone.
2) Do a database backup to tape, backup volhist and devconf (and make _sure they are valid).
3) Move the tape library to the new server, configure it and install the same version of TSM on the new server.
4) Restore the database backup from tape to the new server using the devconf and volhist files.
5) Upgrade TSM on the new server to 7.1.5.

and, you'll most likely want to disable your client schedules - it's likely this will take a while and not be completed before your next schedule starts.

In all of this discussion, it was never mentioned on what platform the 6.3.3 TSM server is running on.

If 6.3.3 is running on Windows 2012, then there should be no issue of upgrading TSM in place or moving to another new server with Windows 2012.

If the platform is Redhat 5.x for the TSM 6.3.3 environment, a restore to new hardware that is on Redhat 7.x is not possible as TSM 6.3.3 WILL NOT install on Redhat 7.x. Similarly, TSM 7.1.5 WILL NOT upgrade on Redhat 5.x. However, if the TSM 6.3.3 platform is on Redat 6.x, and the new TSM server is slated on a new hardware, I suggest to upgrade the 6.3.3 to TSM 7.1.5 and restore to the new 'home' running TSM 7.1.5.

Sorry, my bad.

TSM 6.3.3 is currently running on AIX 6.1 TL 6 and proposed to upgrade to new server running on AIX 7.1 TL 03.
Configured Dedicated 4 port 8Gbs fc adapter (3 for tape and 1 for Disk), 4 port 1Gbs n/w adapter.

Instead of installing 6.3.3 and upgrading to 7.1.5, planning to bypass installing 6.3.3 and take backup and restore TSM database to 7.1.5.

Anyone tried upgrading directly and faced any issue?
any dependencies in DB2 while upgrading directly?

Thanks to all Sharing their ideas. Definitely consider and implement the best suitable for my environment.

Instead of installing 6.3.3 and upgrading to 7.1.5, planning to bypass installing 6.3.3 and take backup and restore TSM database to 7.1.5.
That's not supported. Need to restore at the same level as the backup.

So, you need to upgrade the older server to 7.1.5 first, back it up, and restore it on a new 7.1.5 server.
Or backup old server, restore on new server with 6.3.3, then upgrade new server to 7.1.5.

The 2nd method is better because it means you do nothing to the old server, so if fails, you can keep using the old server as-is.

Back