TSM Shutdown and Startup

mag0007

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Got a couple of questions regarding TSM shutdown and startup.

I am planning to do a powerdown + powerup of my TSM server and library (StorageTek).

Is there anything I should do in particular? I am currently going to :

Shutdown

1) Stop all the Schedules

2) Stop all processes

3) Equience the library so no activity is going on

4) query mount to see if anything is mounted

5) if nothing is mouted, then halt

Startup

1) Start up TSM server

2) Check the status (q status)

Don't know what to do next.....HELP!

Does everything look okay?

We went through a power off/on recently. This is the process we used...

Going down...

1. disabled TSM sessions, then canceled outstanding sessions and process if necessary.

2. halt TSM

3. shutdown the server

4. Paused and powered off the library.

Coming up...

1. Power on the server

2. Start TSM if you do not have it set to start automatically upon boot.

3. If necessary, enable sessions

4. After TSM is up and fully functional, power on library.

Does it matter if I turn turn on the library before I start up TSM? Do I need to do an audit library when the library comes up or is that done automatically? It takes a while for the TSM server comes up too right?

Thanks!

I would wait until after TSM is up before powering up the library. I've seen some funky errors when not doing so. They look ominous, and end up not amounting to much and are annoying. After powering on the library, it should re-initialize (I have an IBM 3584) and run its own inventory, and if you like, you can follow up with an 'audit library library_name checklabel=barcode'. Depending on the OS, and how robust your hardware is, the server may or may not take that long. We run a semi-powerful AIX 5.1 setup, and takes only a few minutes.

I never drop the library when I powercycle the AIX box. Im surprised that even works for you, having the library powered down while AIX is coming up, wouldnt that create errors?

There are many customers (including myself) that have our libraries partitioned out to other hosts (such as AS/400) we cant just drop the library because of an AIX/TSM reboot.

my process for powercycleing the whole AIX/TSM & Library infrastructure would be as follows:

Shutdown:

1. q mount,q proc , q sess

2. End all processes, end all sessions.

3. Once processes and sessions are ended, dismount vol on any tapes in the drives

4. (optional) disable sessions

5. shutdown tsm

6. Powerdown AIX

7. Make sure all tapes are dismounted from the library (physically) dismount any volumese in the drives.

8. Shutdown the library.

Startup: (almost in reverse order)

1. Power on the library

2. Once internal audit on the library completes, and library is in ready status Power on AIX

3. If TSM isnt set to autostart Startup TSM

4. Verify that Library intilization is successful (in the activity log) and that your tape drives are online (q lib q drive)

5. (optional) enable sessions

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>I would wait until after TSM is up before powering up the library. I've seen some funky errors when not doing so. They look ominous, and end up not amounting to much and are annoying. After powering on the library, it should re-initialize (I have an IBM 3584) and run its own inventory, and if you like, you can follow up with an 'audit library library_name checklabel=barcode'. Depending on the OS, and how robust your hardware is, the server may or may not take that long. We run a semi-powerful AIX 5.1 setup, and takes only a few minutes.</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

You threw in some good steps, such as dismounting volumes. I will not dispute your method, and it looks good to me, but ours works as well. The library is a separate entity, and does not have to have TSM up. TSM of course needs the library te perform certain tasks, but does not neccessarily have to have the library upon boot. If there are errors, do not worry about them until after the entire environment is up, and errors are still persistent. But your way (bmcferon) is certainly another alternative that will work.

Back