TSM Settings Migration from 5.5-6.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poohmanchoo

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
I am relatively new to TSM and have really only gotten hands on in the past 6 months with TSM 5.5.3, so forgive me if this question seems elementary. I am on the verge of performing an upgrade from our current TSM server (Windows 2003 TSM 5.5.3 with a TS3310 library connected via FC SAN) and have a couple of questions.

First let me describe my intentions on the upgrade.
1. migrating from TSM v5.5.3 Windows2003 server(single instance) to new server with TSM 6.2.4 Windows2008R2 and new IBM3524 disk array
2. using the same Library (TS3310) just going to disconnect from old server and connect to new one when DB migration completes
3. will be using same name for TSM server as is currently in use (as well as IP)
4. wanting to perform migration via network

Questions
1) what settings will be migrated when performing the DB migration with the wizard.
management classes;administrative schedules;policy domains? I know this is stored in Db but didn't know if it all just migrates and works since server name and address is the same
as on the old server!?
2)I have heard horror stories about library losing all connectivity and defined paths being easily lost. Will I most likely have to del and redefine library and paths?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Relative stories or things to be wary of would also help.
I don't have as much experience as I should before doing this upgrade, but it is being pushed to be completed before end of Fiscal year. (Oct)

There are several posts on this forum for this move: 5.x to 6.x

Since you will be using a new server for 6.2, on a high level, this is what I suggest you do:

- Install the existing 5.5.3 TSM server on the Win8K server
- move the library to the new TSM 5.5.3 server
- bring up the TSM server as 5.5.3
- upgrade to 6.2.4 'in-place' (this way, if all fails, you have a server to go back to)

Now you're in production. Depending on the size of the DB, the upgrade in place may take about 10 hours for a 80 GB DB on 5.5.3. Just do the math for the size of your DB.

Search the forum for other 'tips'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back