TSM Server Version

What TSM version is running on your production server?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We are at 5.4.2 with no intetions of moving to 5.5 unless we run out of support. If we move to 6.1 it will be with a fresh build.

Starting off with 6.1. in the building process now.

3.1 -> 3.7 -> 4.1 -> 5.1 -> 5.2 -> 5.5 and that is where it will die on the vine after over 10 years of ADSM/TSM.

-Aaron

Corporate has decided that our enterprise backup product will be EMC Networker.

That would be a resume' generating event for me!

Before TSM we had EMC EDM and that was a huge POS that nearly cost me my sanity. When shopping around we looked at Networker and even visited a few Networker shops .... the admins were not happy.

TSM has been the first data protection software package that has exceeded my expectations (probably because EDM forced me to set them so low)

Just upgraded it to 5.5 today, was at 5.4 but I need to move off of Windows 2003 and looks like support for Windows 2008 starts up at 5.5.1.1

5.4.1.2 (Solaris) here. If IBM ever resolve the label overwriting problem with Solaris we'll go to 5.5. As with Jeff, any future move to 6.1 will be a new build.

-Chris

In the process of retiring TSM 5.2.3 and 5.1.8 and older TSM Servers. Moving to Netbackup .... Learning it, at present.

Have worked with version 4 and up, but no experience with 6.1.

Version 5.4.4 server with 5.5.2 clients.
Just don't have the horsepower for 6.

This company needs a hardware refresh to make that jump and in the current economic state I don't foresee that happening soon.

TSM 5.5.2 with Windows 2k3 x64. Will wait end of support of 5.5 before going to 6.X.. If we go 6.X it will be from a fresh installation unless the convertion will be better than 5GB/H.

If it's the first TSM installation you will be doing.. go to 6.1.. if not stick with TSM 5. and wait maybe fo tsm 6.2..

This situation is the same when Exchange 2000 arrived. Lots a companies that where exchange 5.5 wait until echange 2003 arrived. It was a living hell to upgrade from exchange 5.5. to exchange 2000. When microsoft arrive with exchange 2003... it was mostly an exchange 2000 but with better "upgrade from 5.5 features"...

I hope IBM will be wise enough to do the same for futur release. cause if they dont do something about the "Upgrade time" and adding the missing features from older version of TSM. The upgrade rate from older version will be really slow.

This is my 2cents.

To heada... When networker will be in production.. I will keep a minute of silence for the death of you TSM env. :p

Last edited:
Kind of leary about 6.1.

We were burned going to 5.5, so we'll wait until it's good and stable. Bleeding edge is no friend of mine......

5.4.1.2 (Solaris) here. If IBM ever resolve the label overwriting problem with Solaris we'll go to 5.5. As with Jeff, any future move to 6.1 will be a new build.

-Chris

Hey, what are you referring to here? Do you have any links or is it just something you're dealing with in your environment? I ask because of a problem we've had for 15 months (I've whined about it several times here in the forum). I learned of a fix from IBM last week (they are writing it for us for Solaris), so I'm wondering if your issue is the same. We're one of only two instances of this problem. The other was HP-UX and they just wrote a fix for them and are trying to decide which official release to write it into. (5.4.x or 5.5.x, as it's an issue in both)

GregE,

Yeah I've been following your other threads for a while now. It's a suspiciously similar problem to the one you describe, no links sorry - it's being dealt with by our TSM team at another site. Seems as though TSM (or something) is randomly overwriting the labels of tapes during write operations. Sound familiar?

They've been talking to IBM and Quantum for a while but no resolution as of yet. I'll get in touch with them and I'll let you know if anything new comes up.

-Chris

Upgraded to 6.1

Upgraded to 6.1 using new hardware. Windows 2003. Took 20 hours to import the database. Working out some issues... have deduplication on now, saving about 800GB (10%) on a FILE devclass.

Amazing how much more disk space is needed for db2 logs, archive logs and database. Database went from 30GB to 60GB.
40GB a day of archive logs generated (2 days worth retained as the oldest days worth gets dropped off after a successful full db backup)

16GB of active log space.

Ran into a number of issues related to log space running out.. seemed that deduplication exacerbated it.

Originally had 4GB of memory, it was complaining about memory constantly (DB2). Now up to 10GB and while it isn't using much more physical memory, it complains a lot less and has been more reliable.

Careful, we found a few issues that EMC NW that lost about 14 TB's of backup data. Seems their version of migration would show success in the return code and the messages displayed from the command but if you dove through the server logs it actually failed. That and a few other issues doomed it. We had it installed for about 7 months before they got thrown out the door.

Been with this server from 5.1 and through 5.2,5.3 upto the current 5.4. Brand new server being built November to combine TSM 6.1 with new hardware and de-dupe.

Back