tsm server recovery, emergency!!! need help!!!

fwang

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
http
hi all

my server crashed three days ago and the system drive which installed tsm server failed.

i have to reinstall the system and tsm software.

i read some docs about disaster revovery, but it is not deailed. i would like to have the whole procedure for reovery.

does anybody have some experience to recover the tsm server by DRM? please share some idea, i would really appreciate that.

thanks in advanve!

OS - windows 2000 server

TSM - 5.2.4 (tsm database and log have another complete copies in other drivers)

DSM - all DRM files ready for recovery

Frank

:mad:

On Unix here are the basic higher level steps:

Make sure all hardware is connected and verify that it is correct, including the library and drives.

Reinstall the TSM client software and server on the server.

If you have a copy of the .opt file for the client and server, copy to its correct location. otherwise, you need to rewrite it.

Look at your plan file, (in Unix you need to “explode it”) and look to see the commands needed to recreate your db, log and any diskpools you may have.

Also get your copy of the devconfig file and your volhist file and place them in their default locations as well. Look at the volhist file and see which database tape you need to recover. Mount it and run the restore database command. Depending on which library you are using, you may not need to mount the tape first.

It will be something like “dsmserv restore db dev=YOURDEVCLASS vol=YOURDBVOLUME commit=yes"

Start the server and run a checkin search=bulk on your library.

Register your licenses if needed.

Hope this helps

Drew

I agree with Drew - we in the UNIX environment - have things in control :lol:

Simply apply the same steps in the Windows world. You'll most likely use Bare Metal Recovery if you have it to recover the Windows server. If not, then you'll be at this for at least 6 hours or more to bring your Windows server back from scratch.

The vital 5 is what you need, and you should have these on tape already. Simply bring them back, format your disk space, rebuild the database and your off and running.

Your DRM plan should outline step by step actions. If not, then go to IBM's support site and download the DRM manual and use the examples as visual aides and command line syntax reference. Obviously you'll have to supply the rest.

Lastly, Document and prepare for the next disaster.

Good Luck

Steven

i am going to resore tsm server from a bar machine. unfortunately, i lost everything in old machine. there are no devconfig file and volhist file in my server.

all things i need are in my tapes, what can i do if i do not have those files?

my operating system for tsm server is windows 2000.

thank you very much

Frank

Ouch!!

The only way I know of would be to mount a tape at random, try your db restore, if that tape isn't teh db, it will fail, unmount the tape and mount anther tape, and try the db restore command again.

It will take some time though that way. Hopefully you won't have to go through too many tapes.

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>hi all

my server crashed three days ago and the system drive which installed tsm server failed.

i read some docs about disaster revovery, but it is not deailed. i would like to have the whole procedure for reovery.

does anybody have some experience to recover the tsm server by DRM? please share some idea, i would really appreciate that.

thanks in advanve!

OS - windows 2000 server

TSM - 5.2.4 (tsm database and log have another complete copies in other drivers)

Frank

:mad: </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

before your need : dsmserv.opt, dsmserv.dsk, devcnfg.out, volhist.out

1.install tsm completed

2.initial server of tsm for server and server name need equal old name !!!

3.stop service of tsm

4.replace file db1.dsm and log1.dsm at your save another machine.

5.start service of tsm complete.

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>hi all

thanks in advanve!

OS - windows 2000 server

Frank

:mad: </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

before your need : dsmserv.opt, dsmserv.dsk, devcnfg.out, volhist.out

1.install tsm completed

2.initial server of tsm for server and server name need equal old name !!!

3.stop service of tsm

4.replace file : dsmserv.opt, dsmserv.dsk, devcnfg.out, volhist.out, db1.dsm and log1.dsm at your save another machine.

5.start service of tsm complete.

Back