TSM Server 2000 Fails

pj315

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I have TSM on Server 2000. After a reboot of the system, it windows tells me that it could not start the tsm server1 service on the local computer. The service did not return an error. This could be an internal windows error or a internal service error.

I did realize that some windows updates had been installed and requiered a reboot. However, i removed those updates and still i have not had any luck getting tsm server1 started.

Any ideas would be GREATLY apprecaited.

Try to find out if it is a TSM issue or a Windows issue. Start the server in the forground.

Open a command prompt. Go to the directory with the dsmserv.exe program (C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\..something..) Once there, run dsmserv.exe It will start TSM and if it can't start, it will give you any errors on the display. If it does start without any errors, then it is a problem with Windows (either the service or something like that)

-Aaron

yep as Heade said,

have a look on the dsmserv.err, what he's say,

and have look on the Windows "Events Logs" too.

you can show us if you want

Thanks for the info. At first, when i tried to start in the command line, it gave no error. it didnt say anything. after tinkering some, and rebooting it now gives this error.

C:\PROGRA~1\tivoli\tsm\server>dsmserv.exe

ANR0905W Options file c:\program files\tivoli\tsm\server1\dsmserv.opt not found

ANR7800I DSMSERV generated at 12:02:29 on Aug 21 2002.

Tivoli Storage Manager for Windows

Version 5, Release 1, Level 5.0

Licensed Materials - Property of IBM

5698-ISE (C) Copyright IBM Corporation 1999,2002. All rights reserved.

U.S. Government Users Restricted Rights - Use, duplication or disclosure

restricted by GSA ADP Schedule Contract with IBM Corporation.

ANR0990I Server restart-recovery in progress.

ANR0212E Unable to read disk definition file dsmserv.dsk.

It looks like TSM was reinstalled or all of it's config files have been removed.

The dsmserv.opt is the file that has all the TSM Server options in it (server name, memory settings, etc) The dsmserv.dsk file keeps track of what files to use for the TSM database and log.

With those files missing or unreadable by TSM, the server will never start. You can grab a default dsmserv.opt, but the dsmserv.dsk is unique to your setup.

-Aaron

:-o

Well, I may need to just tear the whole thing back down and reload it again. Are there any known windows updates for server 2000 that would mess with tsm?

Back