1. Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING) Click the link to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This message will disappear after you have made at least 12 posts. Thank you for your cooperation.

TSM select query randomly creating extra line feeds

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Arledge, Jul 30, 2012.

  1. Arledge

    Arledge New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2012
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    TSM query creating extra line feeds randomly

    All,

    I am currently writing some scripts that output data from TSM and input them into a database table on a webserver for a monitoring suite. So far everything has been going well, until I came across this anomaly.

    To simplify the issue, the problem can be replicated as below.

    If I run the following I get a file created that is TAB delimited of the SELECT statement.

    dsmadmc -id=XXXX-pa=XXXX-dataonly=y -displaymode=table -tabdelimited ' select VOLUME_NAME,NODE_NAME,FILESPACE_NAME,FILE_NAME,FILE_SIZE,SEGMENT,FILESPACE_ID,COPIED,DAMAGED from CONTENTS' >testfile

    The strange thing happens on a few lines during the output. Instead of having just a TAB after the file name, a LINEFEED is inserted before the TAB. Below is an example where the issue is with file3.

    A00001 hostname /gpfs/filesystem01 /dir1/dir2/file1 21770 1/1 1 No No
    A00002 hostname /gpfs/filesystem01 /dir1/dir2/file2 6332 1/1 1 No No
    A00003 hostname /gpfs/filesystem01 /dir1/dir2/file3
    472 1/1 1 No No
    A00004 hostname /gpfs/filesystem01 /dir1/dir2/log/file4 10038 1/1 1 No No
    A00005 hostname /gpfs/filesystem01 /dir1/dir2/log/file5 6332 1/1 1 No No

    The problem does not occur after a certain amount of lines or characters, but occurs at the same place every time the script is run.

    Has anyone seen this before or know of an issue?
     
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  2.  
  3. rowl

    rowl Member

    Joined:
    May 18, 2006
    Messages:
    207
    Likes Received:
    8
    Have you tried to run this with the -outfile=filename option instead of > testfile? I ran across a problem like this once where I had to add
    "-outfile=filename.csv -outfile" to the options to get it to work. Got that recommendation from TSM advanced support. Not sure why -outfile has to be there twice, once with and once without a file name, but that solved my output problems.
    -Rowl
     
  4. Arledge

    Arledge New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2012
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi Rowl,

    I have tried this with output=filename and still get the same result.

    I have however noticed that for the files that are playing up, there are two entries in the TSM database. Apart from the TAB being LF-TAB & the file sizes being different the entries look the same.

    When I then look at files using the command "select * from contents where file_name='/dir1/dir2/file3' there is only 1 entry.

    Maybe I have a corrupt database.
     

Share This Page