TSM Scheduler Service Keeps Crashing!!

damianinpa

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
All,
Need help. Been rolling TSM Client out to my Windows server 2003 nodes with no issue. This one node (Which happens to be my most important server) has a problem with the Service. The service starts, but, then immediately stops. In the event log I get an error Schedular exited with a result code of 12. Also, the dsmerr.log shows this:
08/20/2010 16:08:42 ANS2050E TSM needs to prompt for the password but cannot prompt because the process is running in the background.
08/20/2010 16:08:42 ANS1029E Communication with the TSM server is lost.

I can login to the gui client with no issues. I reset the PW in the TSM Server with no problems. I reinstalled the Service 3 times. Each time on the last screen of the wizard I get an Error 7 establishing TSM API. Client Message Repository Couldn't be Located. When I closed that window, the it then said Successfully installed service where I could click finish. Anyone have ideas. I can manually start backups, but, I have to get the service to run all the time.

Damian

I looked at the link, but, those entries are not in my dsm.opt. I did uninstall/reinstall, but, I didn't reboot in-between or clear out the registry. I can try that this weekend since the server will be rebooted for maintenance. I should also mention this server is a one node of a 2 node Microsoft cluster. In my dsm.opt file I do have clusternode Yes turned on so the Shares I want to back up are listed under Local drives. However, I'm not using TSM in the typical failover way where you install on the 2nd node and TSM can keep working. I just wanted the shares to appear properly in the GUI for backup. I have no idea if the error I'm getting with the service stopping has anything to do with this box being part of a cluster, but, figured I would post it. It is the only server I have had a problem with and this is the only fundamental difference compared to other servers.

Damian,

I believe we had a similar issue putting the client on a Windows cluster. I don't have access to the systems, but I do recall that it wasn't immediately obvious where the dsm.opt file needed to be. Is everything in the BA client install (including dsm.opt) in a location where all of the cluster nodes have access? Also make sure that you have the scheduler registered as a clustered service.

Good luck!

Tom

The Dsm.opt is located on the C drive of the server. I am unaware of registering the scheduler as a cluster service. Is that necessary since I am really not looking to do any kind of failover. And, would not having it registered cause the issue of the windows service failing after it starts?????
Also note when I manually open the BA client and enter the PW, the GUI does open. I am doing a backup of serveral of the cluster shares now manually and it is working. Just the schedular service is not.

You shouldn't have to enter the password if you have PASSWORDACCESS GENERATE in the dsm.opt. If that is not in the dsm.opt then that is what is causing the error. If it is in the .opt then the TSM client registry entry is screwed up.

I don't have that in the dsm.opt, but, I can try that. None of my servers have that in the file. Normally, if I log into the client gui, I just enter the pw. That entry affects the windows service??

I added the passwordaccess generate to dsm.opt and it does appear to have fixed the issue. Very odd that none of my other servers have this in the dsm.opt and the service runs fine. I'll keep an eye on it for a few days to make sure it stays running.
Thanks for all the help.
Damian

You can always try starting the TSM Scheduler on a command line. Just go to TSM's installation directory, most likely c:\program files\tivoli\tsm\baclient and type "dsmc sched". It's the easiest way to diagnose a problem about schedulers.

You could install the service with the DSMCUTIL:
dsmcutil inst scheduler /name:"TSM Client Scheduler" /node:%computername% /clientdir:"c:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient" /optfile:"c:\program files\tivoli\tsm\baclient\dsm.opt" /password:%computername% /validate:yes /autostart:yes /startnow:yes
Since yu were having trouble installing it.
I may have missed this but what version of TSM are you running/

Back