TSM Scheduler Backup Job Hanged up

Janice

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am using TSM scheduler on the wintel client machine. I found that sometimes the backup job is hanged up. And then it missed after time out.

I checked the schedule log and found it is ok. The client machine able to start the backup job. But it just hanged up.

Any Idea ? :confused:

Janice,

One thing I know about Wintel Machines is they are breeze to work with & a Pain in the neck.

Try & check what happens to it in the dsmsched.log & TSm console.

Try the following few things.

1.Add a host file entry in client & in your TSM server. If your server was in DMZ zone by chance this would normally happen on your wintel machine.

2..Change the Schedule to adifferent time slot

3. When the Session hangs, just restart your scheduler service in client.-works most of the time.

Regards

Shamin

Wipro Technologies.

Dear Shamin, Thanks for your reply. I have already tried. Sometimes it works and sometimes don't. I have restarted the TSM scheduler in client, changed the backup time. It seems ok this time but next time failed again. Any TSM tools / ways can monitor what is going on ?

Janice- Do you have quiet enabled in your opt file? If you do- remove it and see what is happening in the dsmsched and dsmerror logs. Perhaps this will give you a clue. Also how many objects does this particular server scan, expire than backup? Your hang up could be the scan/expiration process in work. Another thing to consider - do you have subfile enabled - if you do - flush or clean-up the cache directory you have created - the meta files might be waiting for space on disk.

Let us know

Steven

You know... I don't have subfiles enabled and I have the same problem. Someone solve this?... Janice?

If you have a busy TSM server you can miss the startupwindow of schedules.
How busy is your TSM server? Also check your actlog

Janice.

A couple of things to look at are:

1. Issue a q opt and see what the MaxSessions is set to, then compare this to have many nodes you are trying to backup at one time.

2. Use prompted mode for scheduling so you can better schedule your backups

3. Use the CAD to initate the backups. This requires the TSM Scheduler service to be in a manual state.

I have found that these 3 things has made my wintel environment must more stable, especially since the DSMC is not using resources during the day.

gyuzik I cheked the q opt and I have set the MaxSession=25 and after that I checked the yesterday backup simultaneous sessions and was 8.

I partially solve this problem by dividing the schedule. For example I have a schedule called Diferencial_1900 that backup a server called SERVERFAX. It backup the Drive C and D. What I did was a schedule for Drive C and another for Drive D at different times. For example Drive C at 19.00 and Drive D at 20.00.

Doing this the client backups work well but this is not the solution and I really don't know why was working and form a day to another just left working.

Thanks!

elias.

Can you tell me about the other 2 questions?

2. Are you using prompted or polling mode
3. Are you using the CAD to initiate the schedule

Hi gyuzik,

1) We are using the client in polling mode.
2) Are you refering to Client Acceptor Deamon?

I posted another message in Database Backup Agents / TDP, with the dsmerror.log, the dsmsched.opt and the yesterday Report con scheduled events, perhaps it could clarify things. http://adsm.org/forum/showthread.php?p=27178&posted=1#post27178

Thanks again!

Elias.

Last edited:
If you look at your logs, you'll notice that although your schedule time is set to 19:00 for FAX_C, the actual start time was not until 19:27:43... this means that if that schedule does not complete before the FAX_D tries to start... it will result in a missed schedule.

Step 1
- Simplify your schedules... use a single node, a single schedule to backup a single server
- Change to prompted mode to help tighten down the timing of your processes
- Switch your TSM Scheduler to use the Client Acceptor instead.

This will make your backups more consistant and the management a LOT easier.

refer to
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v1r1/topic/com.ibm.itsmc.doc/ans60000.pdf

Chapter 2 / "Configuring the client scheduler" for more details

gyuzik, thanks a lot for your help. It's right what you said, but the schedule FAX_D was missed becouse the server hang up when BMR entered by 22.00.

I separated drive C from drive D, becouse all together the server hanged up. Before I did this the schedules were quite simple but I have no choice and I want to fix that.

Yesterday, the servers hanged up, becouse BMR backs up the whole server all togheter.

I will take a look the link you sent me.

thanks!

elias.

Back