TSM restore stgpool problem

mick703

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I try to do a stgpool recovery after I successfully restore the database back to a point of time. I am using tsm 5.5 with IBM ts3100 single drive tape library. I have got the offsite data tape with a full db backup tape. What I did is as follows

1. set up the tsm server
2. config the device such as library, drive, path and devclass so the server can talk to the library. That works.
3. put the db backup tape into the i/o station and check it into the library. That works.
4. ./dsmserv restore db volumenames=000003L3 devclass=LTO_CLASS_1 commit=yes
That works and db restored.
5. with the retored db I have to update the device settings. So I update the library, drive path and keep the devclass unchanged.
6. So far there is only one db backup tape in the library which is 000003L3 but it has been dismounted from the library after db recovery.
7. I do a audit library. >audit library TS3100 checklabel=barcode. And it found the only lib volume 000003L3 and deleted the other inventory records.
8. I want to restore the backuppool wich is the primary stgpool in the disk with the offsite data tape 000023L3
9. I check the volumes using .
>q volume and I found this
000023L3 OFFSITE LTO_CLASS_1 0.0 0.0 Empty
000021L3 OFFSITE LTO_CLASS_1 762,938.0 15.5 Filling

It seems that this volume has been expired and can not be used for restored. Is that right? And I do
>q drmdia and I got this
Volume Name State Last Update Automated
Date/Time LibName
---------------- ----------------- ------------------- ----------------
000021L3 Mountable 10/29/2008 09:05:29
000023L3 Vault retrieve 10/23/2008 19:16:49
000003L3 Mountable 10/30/2008 08:00:29 TS3100
000017L3 Mountable 10/23/2008 09:00:32

So is it expired by the tsm and can not be used any more?

10. I understand that offsite tape is a little bit old and I try another offsite tape 000021L3 which has not been expired by tsm.
11. I check in the tape 000021L3 to the library TS3100 and do
>q libv
Library Name Volume Name Status Owner Last Use Home Device
Element Type
------------ ----------- ---------------- ---------- --------- ------- ------
TS3100 000003L3 Private DbBackup 4,096 LTO
TS3100 000021L3 Private 4,097 LTO
>q drmedia
Volume Name State Last Update Automated
Date/Time LibName
---------------- ----------------- ------------------- ----------------
000021L3 Mountable 10/29/2008 09:05:29 TS3100
Does that mean tsm has already take it back into the library and it is ready for use?
12. Then I do
>q content 000021L3 and it shows up the content in this volume and it seems fine.
13. I try to do
>restore stgpool backuppool preview=yes
And I got this

ANR1239I Restore preview of primary storage pool BACKUPPOOL has ended. Files
Restored: 0, Bytes Restored: 0.

These are my stgpool
BACKUPPOOL DISK 162 G 27.2 1.3 80 70 TAPEPOOL
OFFSITE LTO_CLASS- 7,629 G 1.6
_1
>q volume
Volume Name Storage Device Estimated Pct Volume
Pool Name Class Name Capacity Util Status
------------------------ ----------- ---------- --------- ----- --------
/srv/tsm/data01.dsm BACKUPPOOL DISK 0.0 0.0 Off-Line
/srv/tsm/data02.dsm BACKUPPOOL DISK 0.0 0.0 Off-Line
/srv/tsm/data03.dsm BACKUPPOOL DISK 0.0 0.0 Off-Line

The old backuppool volumes are all offline at the moment as they do not physically exist in the recovery server.

My questions are:
1. How can I restore stgpool with the offsite tapes as I always got success with nothing restored?
2. Do I have to create a new volume on the disk under backuppool since the old volumes are no longer available in the new server?
3. Do I have to mark the old volumes as destroyed before I run restore stgpool command? What is the right way to restore the primary stgpool as I always got nothing restored?
4. If I can check the offsite tapes back into the library and updated library recognize them, client nodes should be able to get files back directly from the copy stgpool volumes. Right? But I really want to get the data from tapes back to the disk first and then clients can access data from disk instead of slow tapes.

I am not using DRM, so I do all the tasks manually. Can anyone give me some idea on how to do that? I stucked after db restored and couldn't get it. Thanks in advance.

mick

By the way, If I do
>restore stgpool bakcuppool preview=yes

It should show me all the volumes that I can use to restore this stgpool. Is it correct? If that's right, why it didn't display anything and just ended with nothing restored? Please help me. Thanks.

Unless a primary volume is marked as destroyed, TSM will think the data on it may still be recoverable and will therefore not restore anything. Mark them as destroyed (TSM will do that automatically if you run restore volume rather than restore stgpool) and retry.

BTW. I see you have a next-pool for the diskpool. Are you sure you want to restore diskpool rather than tapepool?

PJ

Unless a primary volume is marked as destroyed, TSM will think the data on it may still be recoverable and will therefore not restore anything. Mark them as destroyed (TSM will do that automatically if you run restore volume rather than restore stgpool) and retry.

BTW. I see you have a next-pool for the diskpool. Are you sure you want to restore diskpool rather than tapepool?

PJ

Thanks PJ. I will try to mark them as destroyed and try again. If I mark the old disk volumes which do not physically exist in the recovery server as destroyed, do I need to define a new disk volume in the old diskpool before I mark them as destroyed?

Will tsm delete the destroyed disk volumes after diskpool recovery? If I don't define a new disk volume before destroy the old one, there will be no disk volume available for restore. Am I right? But if I define a new disk volume, in the old database this newly defined volume does not contain any data, will tsm restore data to this new volume if it find the old ones all destroyed?

Yes, as you see there is next stgpool for diskpool which is tapepool. When I do stgpool backup, the tapepool is the one that actually get backuped with backup stgpool tapepool command. Data is migrated from diskpool to tapepool everyday then every week the tapepool is copied to offsite pool. So, you recom I should restore the tapepool instead of diskpool? Am I able to restore the diskpool if I actually don't backup data directly from diskpool to offsitepool?

Sorry I got too many questions since I haven't done a recovery before with a so complicated product TSM!:( Please show me a way to get there. Many thanks.

If you never backed up the diskpool, how should TSM know what data to restore? If you backed up the tapepool, TSM will know what it backed up from there. Forget about volumes for the moment because a "restore volume" does not really try to restore the volume as such but simply restores data that was on that volume. By default, TSM will restore to the pool which the data originated from when you ran "backup stgpool". You can overwrite that to any other primary pool.

In your case I guess something like "restore stgpool tapepool new=diskpool" should work. Make sure, the tapepool's volumes are marked destroyed. Alternatively you can restore individual tapepool volumes from the copypool into the diskpool.

PJ

Thanks PJ. I can directly restore data from tape without having to restore the diskpool. I have done the restore from tape. Thanks.

Back