• Please help support our sponsors by considering their products and services.
    Our sponsors enable us to serve you with this high-speed Internet connection and fast webservers you are currently using at ADSM.ORG.
    They support this free flow of information and knowledge exchange service at no cost to you.

Please welcome our latest sponsor Tectrade . We can show our appreciation by learning more about Tectrade Solutions
  • Community Tip: Please Give Thanks to Those Sharing Their Knowledge.

If you receive helpful answer on this forum, please show thanks to the poster by clicking "LIKE" link for the answer that you found helpful.

• Community Tip: Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING)

Click the link above to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This notice will disappear after you have made at least 3 posts.

TSM per Terabyte

ChrisRees

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi

I think I'm right in saying the select statement they use in that pdf is wrong, as it sum's occupancy from auditocc which includes copy data, where before it says licensing is only done on primary pools.

Cheers

Mita201

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi

I think I'm right in saying the select statement they use in that pdf is wrong, as it sum's occupancy from auditocc which includes copy data, where before it says licensing is only done on primary pools.

Cheers
It looks fine to me, as far as I have tried it, here and there. You should try it at your TSM, and see if it make sense.

ChrisRees

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
It looks fine to me, as far as I have tried it, here and there. You should try it at your TSM, and see if it make sense.

Yes the sql works but I'm saying it gives the total storage of primary + copy pools. For this per TB licensing it says you only need the amount of data in the primary pools.

nezih

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
licensing model counts only primary pools...

Last edited:

Mita201

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Yes the sql works but I'm saying it gives the total storage of primary + copy pools. For this per TB licensing it says you only need the amount of data in the primary pools.
I understand what you are talking about, but I think that you get only primary pool stored data with the query
E.g, I have one TSM server that shows around 10TB of stored data on TSM Monitor, but when I run query from that pdf, it shows me only around 5TB.
Knowing what is backed up on that server it looks reasonable to me that there is 5TB of primary pool stored data.

hogmaster

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I think we will be seeing more customers asking for backupsets to be generated and stored for customers that use TSM for longtime backups.

Below is the tables columns in the auditocc table. As you can see the copy pool data is a separate column. The select statement from the pdf is:

select sum(backup_mb)+ sum(archive_mb)+ sum(spacemg_mb) as PRIMARY_MB from auditocc
This select statement does not contain the BACKUP_COPY_MB column, it only reports primary data.

NODE_NAME: xxxxxx
BACKUP_COPY_MB: 8929
ARCHIVE_MB: 0
ARCHIVE_COPY_MB: 0
SPACEMG_MB: 0
SPACEMG_COPY_MB: 0
TOTAL_MB: 19964
BACKUP_ACTIVE_MB: 0

/Hogmaster

ChrisRees

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Ah apologies people, I got it wrong.. (blushes)

hogmaster is correct... I have alot more data in my environment than I thought !!

THE_WIPET

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Does any one got the pdf files??? cause the link look like down!
Please add the file to the site.
This is realy interesting new!

Thanks

droach

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Does the select statement return the "Front End" number or the "Back End" number that is mentioned in the PDF?

In the attached chart, if my select statement returns 100TB does that mean I will pay $901,000, or $2,400,000 for a license? I hope I am misinterpreting their dollar amounts.

View attachment 452

Mita201

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
The select statement returns back end
You will pay about 700K or less for 100TB.

But, it looks like IBM is rethinking this licensing model, I am not very sure if this is still valid...
:-(

GregE

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
That's the model that started this discussion.

When Mita201 said IBM is rethinking THIS license model, he was replying to a post regarding the Capacity Pricing so I think he's referring to that one as the one IBM is rethinking.

Mita201

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Yep, since the part number for the product has just dissapeared recently from IBM Partnerworld site....

predatar

Newcomer
Reaction score
in the uk this is available via special bid only and it appears that no two deals are the same and indeed the way it is worked out differs depending upon the IBM rep.

hogmaster

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Some changes in TSM 6.x: note the REPORTING_MB: 0.22 in the follwing.
select * from occupancy
STGPOOL_NAME: FILEPOOL
NUM_FILES: 0
PHYSICAL_MB: 0.00
LOGICAL_MB: 4.17
REPORTING_MB: 0.22

Advertise at ADSM.ORG

If you are reading this, so are your potential customer. Advertise at ADSM.ORG right now.

UpCloud high performance VPS at $5/month

Get started with $25 in credits on Cloud Servers. You must use link below to receive the credit. Use the promo to get upto 5 month of FREE Linux VPS.

The Spectrum Protect TLA (Three-Letter Acronym): ISP or something else?

• Every product needs a TLA, Let's call it ISP (IBM Spectrum Protect).

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • Keep using TSM for Spectrum Protect.

Votes: 60 61.2%
  • Let's be formal and just say Spectrum Protect

Votes: 12 12.2%
  • Other (please comement)

Votes: 8 8.2%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hardsign