TSM on AIX

tsmlover

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I am going to install TSM 5.5 on AIX server for the first time.
the red book of installation guide im using ...

there is a TS 3500 tape library with 12 drives...

plzz tell me from where i can download the libaray driver and how to install it on AIX server.....

You can just use smitty installp or the command line

installp -acXd Atape.x.x.x.x Atape.driver

yes its correct, just use smitty installp and follow the menu system to install the Atape driver

thx... tell me one thing more

how to start AIX GUI mode... actully i am first time using the AIX
and how can i use TSM admin center and admin console like we do in windows

is there a same way to define drives and library on TSM command line like we do in windows.....

yes the command line is the same in TSM on Unix as it is in Windows

so you can use the def libr command and def drive commands

If you already have a ISC and admin centre I would have thought you could add your AIX TSM instance into it, but I'm guessing there as I don't bother with a ISC/admin centre.

hhm i see, in windows i use administrative console to view drive and library alies like mt0.1.1.1 and lb1.0.0.0

where can i get these thing in AIX how can i open administrative console ?

The command line admin console is part of the TSM client so you'll need this installed on the server if you haven't already. Under AIX it should be in /usr/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin called dsmadmc.

i am talking about Admin console where we see drive and libaray path while working on windows..

I'm not really a Windows person but I believe the Admin console is part of the Windows MMC so isn't applicable to TSM on AIX.

You can however re-activate the web admin gui from 5.2 but it takes a little tinkering on a fresh install on 5.5 as some of the tables aren't present.

try these AIX commands

To see your tape drives
lsdev -Cc tape

lsattr -El <device name> eg
lsattr -El rmt0

This will show the node_name which indicates which drive it is in the library , e.g
node_name 0x500507630f113a08

the 08 on the end shows me its drive08 in the TS3500.

With this information you can map rmt devices to the drives and then create your paths..

you find all of your answers :)
congrats!

also lscfg -vl rmtx gives you the serial number and wwn of your drive

hello tell me one thing

when we install the package in linux or sun we use addpkg command and give the backage name

and we use ./xxxx.bin to install in linux

but in AIX it will install the package itselt or we have to mention the file name i downloaded the tsm5.5 for AIX that have so many files and i wonder what file do i need to install

and tell me one thing more in windows just after TSM installation we open administration console for minimul configuration and we define db and log and also diskvolume ... how this things will done on AIX?

if you installing tsm v5.5 on aix you must gunzip and untar the downloaded package and in the downloadedpath/usr/sys/inst.images folder use "smitty install" and choose your tsm server, licences, rte, web console for standard installation. After the installation your tsm instance installed on the /usr/tivoli/tsm/server/bin folder with minimum configuration (like windows minimum config). Just start it with dsmserv command and configure it...

you need to add new db volumes, recovery log volumes etc. via isc or command line...

in windows we define path like this

DEFINE PATH TSM_SERVER1 TS3100 SRCTYPE=SERVER DESTTYPE=LIBRARY DEVICE=lb0.1.0.4 ONLINE=YES

on AIX tell me where can i find device=lb0 .... the above thing mentioned in red....

in dev/ folder there is rmt0 to rmt11 but there is no lb...?

also tell me that in dev folder there is rmt0.1 rmt0.2 rmt0.3 what is this ?

Last edited:
Back