TSM NDMP issue. Need Help!!

NehaK

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Hello Experts,

I am configuring my windows 20008 R2 TSM server for NDMP configuration.
However, while defining the datamover, i recieve the following error:

ANR4728E Server connection to file server <IP address of NAS> failed. Please check
attributes of the file server specified during definition of the datamover.

Another thing that i observed was that as soon as i put an entry of NDMPCONTROL PORT 10000 in the options file, i cannot open the dsmadc CLI. it just blinks and goes away.

I also tried to set the port range in server options file (dsmserv.opt), but that din't help either.

Firewalls are off.

I am new to TSM and need to figure it out on the urgent basis due to deadlines. Could anyone please suggest any workarounds for the same.

Any help/suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!!!

ANR4728E Server connection to file server <IP address of NAS> failed. Please check
attributes of the file server specified during definition of the datamover.
As the error suggest, you likely have the wrong IP or port. HELP ANR4728E for more info.

Another thing that i observed was that as soon as i put an entry of NDMPCONTROL PORT 10000 in the options file, i cannot open the dsmadc CLI. it just blinks and goes away.
The fact that dsmadmc doesn't start is unrelated to the NDMPCONTROLPORT. Only the TCPADMINPORT can affect dsmadmc as far as communicating with the TSM Server. And if there was a problem with the port, you would get an error similar to this if it was for a failed connection:
ANS1033E An invalid TCP/IP address was specified.
ANS8041E The server connection has been lost and cannot be re-established.​

Since your dsmadmc just exits out, it's something else. Check the dsmerror.log for more info.

As the error suggest, you likely have the wrong IP or port. HELP ANR4728E for more info.

The fact that dsmadmc doesn't start is unrelated to the NDMPCONTROLPORT. Only the TCPADMINPORT can affect dsmadmc as far as communicating with the TSM Server. And if there was a problem with the port, you would get an error similar to this if it was for a failed connection:
ANS1033E An invalid TCP/IP address was specified.
ANS8041E The server connection has been lost and cannot be re-established.​

Since your dsmadmc just exits out, it's something else. Check the dsmerror.log for more info.

IP address is correct as i have been using the same IP earlier as well. That used to work just fine. It was just after re-imaging the Windows 2008 R2 host and installing TSM 7.1.5 on it, i started to have this error.

regarding dsmadmc,
it works fine as soon as i omit out or *mark the entry for NDMPCONTROLPORT in the options file. But if its added, dsmadmc doesnt start.
i may be wrong in assuming that it is related to NDMPCONTROLPORT but this is what i have observed.

When i do netstat -a, i do not see NDMP port listed in the list of "Listening" ports. Infact, there is no entry for the same.
I also tried adding ndmp port 10000 manually into the \etc\services file on the windows server, followed by a reboot. but that dint work either :(

Regarding ANR4728E, did you do what the HELP suggests? If you can't access the file-server outside of TSM, then you won't have more luck from TSM.
upload_2016-6-6_9-22-30.png

it works fine as soon as i omit out or *mark the entry for NDMPCONTROLPORT in the options file. But if its added, dsmadmc doesnt start.
Did you put that in dsmserv.opt or dsm.opt? dsmserv.opt is for server options, dsm.opt for client options. DSMADMC is a client component, is uses dsm.opt, so if you added that option in dsm.opt, that would be an invalid option and it would fail. You would see an error to that effect in the dsmerror.log.

Back