TSM Migration

ElDiego

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
hi guys

hope someone can help me here:

basically we are migrating services and apps from one DC to a new one.

the current environment is as follows.

*We have a production environment which we will call SITEA.This is remaining where it is.
*The pre-prod/DR environment is the one we are migrating.This site we will call SITEB (The pre-prod environment is a clone of the production environment)
*SITEC is the where SITEB will be migrated too
*SITEA and SITEB is running TSM 6.2 and SITEC will also be running TSM 6.2 (should be anyway!)
*The TSM instances are running on AIX LPARS on both sites

The plan was to migrate the data from SITEB to SITEC (via srdf) onto VMAX
Present the data to the newly built servers
Create new TSM instances - create the backup clients - and then just start backing them up

But now we will not be able to migrate the data across via srdf

The plan is now to restore from tape at SITEC.

The plan now is to backup the Production data at SITEA
Ship the tapes to SITEC
Perform recovery.

What is the best/easiest way to implement this new plan?
Ive not got much experience on TSM so am not aware of the gotchas and the preferred methods

Is it just a case of backing up the Production environment
Ship the tapes to the new environment at SITEC
Create a TSM Instance on an LPAR
Build the Hosts - Present LUN - Install TSM - Ensure communication with TSM Instance
Restore the TSM database from the production environment ? if so how do i do this?
Recover the data

if this is generally what needs to be done - are there any pre-reqs or configuration stipulations i need to be aware of

apologies if this is confusing
thanks for your time and help
El Diego

If SITEC will be an exact replica of SITEB, why can you not just clone SITEB LPAR to SITEC and move the disk pool and tape environment to SITEC?

Use MKSYS B for the OS and the TSM DB to create the image from SITEB that you will use for SITEC.

Simple and easy. This can be done all in a 24 hour window.

cheers for the reply moon-buddy - really appreciate it

i have just been informed that SITEB is not a clone of SITEA. So sorry about the mis-information - customer communication is a flaky at best

SITEB is just a pre-prod environment of SITEA. It is not cloned/replicated

The reason to restore prod data from SITEA to SITEC is so the new pre-prod environment is bought up to date. Having restored the production data from SITEA - SITEC will then just revert to the Pre-Prod environment - and then SITEB just switched off.

im guessing your suggestion to clone the LPAR and move the disk pool and tape environment is still valid.

SITEC has a totally new library installed already.

So next step is to use MKSYS B to copy the Logical Disk assocaited with the TSM Instance/LPAR which will copy the OS and the TSM database (Storage Pools etc) and then restore this into a new LPAR in SITEC?

Can we use MKSYS B to copy the data onto tape? and then restore to a new LPAR in SITEC?

do you know if there are any TSM documented procedures that could be helpful for this scenario?

in EMC Networker (where my experience is at) they have a Procedure Generator and Powerlink to help in these situations

thanks again - sorry for the confusion ........ again!

There is no real documentation that I know of with regards to the 'cloning' procedure via MKSYS B to reconstruct a TSM Server environment. This is all out of experience with AIX or any OS I have worked with throughout the years.

And yes, the MKSYS B approach will be valid - but to make things much easier, I will clone SITEA instead of SITEB as this would give 100% identical environments. I am further assuming that the facilities available to SITEC would be equal or better that SITEA.

Last edited:
yes at this stage the environment is being upgraded. they are going from using IBM P595 (9119-FHA & 9117-MMA servers) to using a P740 & P770 to host the TSM Instances/LPARS.

The new library is a quantum I6K (already installed) - the old one was a Storeage Tek SL8500

Thing is the design is being changed again at the moment so hopefully the above does not change

Thanks

Back