TSM Licensing for VMware

tanoadriano

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Can someone please inform me how the licensing is done in TSM for VMware Virtual Infrastructure.If we have for example 6 ESX servers with 240 PVU(calculated already) and we buy licenses :
IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Extended Edition 10 Value Units License + SW Maintenance 12 Months (6 ESX Servers with 240 PVU-s)
IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Extended Edition 10 Value Units License + SW Maintenance 12 Months (6 ESX Servers with 240 PVU-s)
does it mean that we can use Backup Archive Clients on all the VMachines that are residing on this ESX Physical Hosts ?

And the other question that I have is ;

If our Exchange server for example is running on the VMware Environment does it means that we need to buy a license :

IBM Tivoli Storage Manager for Mail 10 Value Units License + SW Maintenance 12 Months (40 PVU) for the first node of the exchange and

IBM Tivoli Storage Manager for Mail 10 Value Units License + SW Maintenance 12 Months (40 PVU) for the second node of the exchange in the CCR Cluster ? (PVU for exchange are calculated for the entire host in which it resides).

Thank you very much and hope I have explained my questions.

As I understand it - you have to license the host only, the VM sessions you run on that host are covered by the license.

As per the exchange, as long as the host license is there you only need to get a TDP for Exchange license for the session running exchange. (As I understand it)

Back