TSM Library Manager for > 1024 tape drivers

nimsa

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
mhvtl.nimsa.us
TSM Library Manager for > 1024 tape drives

Hi,

We are implementing a solution to run a TSM Library manager connected to many Virtual Tape Libraries that will be managing over 1300 tape drives on a single Solaris 10 host.

Is there a limitation any one knows of that would prevent Solaris 10 or TSM Library Manager version 5.5.3 from seeing or managing over 1024 tape drives ?

Thanks so much

Last edited:
Hi,

you can see this link :
http://www-01.ibm.com/software/sysmgmt/products/support/IBM_TSM_Supported_Devices_for_Linux.html
or
http://www.clipinf.com.br/arquivos/sg247510.pdf
The following lists some “maximums” supported on a single, fully configured TS7510
(“system”):
 Maximum virtual tape libraries: 64 virtual libraries per node, 128 virtual libraries per
system
 Maximum number of virtual tape drives: 512 per server node; 1,024 per system
 Maximum number of virtual tape cartridges: 4,096 per server node; 8,192 per system
 Maximum number of concurrent backups: Up to the number of virtual tapes defined
 Maximum storage per system: 96 TB, presuming 2:1 compression
Virtual tape libraries, tape drives and tapes are managed through Virtualization Engine for
Tape Console, described further in this chapter.

Thanks for the response, but this is a Solaris 10 host based TSM Library Manager. It is connected to multiple Virtual Tape Libraries with over 1300 tape drive to manage.

I guess my question is: Is there a limitation on Solaris 10 for a maximum number of tape drives it can see at the OS level ?

Or

Does TSM Library Manager V5.5.3 care about a mximum number of devices it can manage on a single host ?

Thanks again.

Ok, I've been giving this a lot more thought and realize it seems to come down not so much to TSM, as to the host OS. Now, we're working on AIX 6, not Solaris or Linux. From what we've seen so far on this project (some statistics, below), TSM doesn't seem to have a problem with the number of tape drive and path definitions; AIX, OTOH, seems to be running into limits. I haven't come up with anything so far; if anybody has any experience in AIX's device assignment limits, post it here! Meantime, more sleuthing is in order.

Our client's setup: 14 disk libraries, 2 VTLs per DL, 88 virtual tape drives total per DL

Thanks

Last edited:
I have several ProtecTIER VTL's setup with 10,000 or 20,000 virtual volumes. They also have 128-200 virtual drives all managed by TSM Library Managers.

There is a break point between 20,000 and 30,000 virtual volumes where either the Atape driver or TSM can't deal with the inventory list returned.

Interesting...and after further poking and experimenting with reducing the number of devices by un-zoning them, it would seem that on our system we did indeed run into the 1,024 device limit. Thanks for the info on the virtual volumes break point.

Back