TSM LAN free disk pools

tsm_dude

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Anyone setup TSM lanfree to disk storage pools (SAN). I have read the redbook which talks about NFS share the disks to the lanfree clients, this is confusing as NFS runs over the network ( not lanfree ). The other option is to use SFS which I have setup before but we dont have it here, OR use SANergy. Anyone been there done that ?

Help appreciated ; )

we've done it with SANergy. You need NFS just for lock management, access management etc. Usually it works like this. TSM creates/mounts a volume on a FS that is exported to the client via NFS or CIFS and fused via SANergy. The client mounts the file through the NFS mount and writes its data to it. SANergy kicks in and decides whether the transfer goes through NFS or directly through the SAN to the fused volume. Since NFS is block-based, the entire file handling is done through the network while the big transfers are redirected through the SAN. It did work - sort of - but we don't use it any more.

PJ

Any reason you dont use it anymore? we've look at it in our architectur... but decided to go with a VTL... we've found more pro's to got with an VTL

It was a bunch of reasons - mostly performance. Disk subsystems strong enough to scale with our requirements for the large database backups were much to expensive compared to tapedrives and the smaller stuff simply didn't gain enough from it to justify the additional cost and the money was rather spent in faster network technology which boosted everything - not just backup/restore. We also had some problems with SANergy itself. At least at the time it behaved in much the same way, that robust and reliable means of data transport don't. ;)

PJ

Hello, it's somethings new for v6.1 / v6.2 about tsm lan-free on disk pools? Customer like to move all traffic from network to SAN...

tks
MT

My opinion is that you should forget about SANergy, and go for VTL if you need LANFREE movement to disk.
Customers usually like fast and reliable transfer at lowest possible cost. You may reconsider lan based transfers or LANFREE to tapes. It depends on many things what is an optimal solution.

Hallo, I know abot sanergy... is a old :( story! The customer is scared (in a TSM client resides on SAN Disks) about the data transfer from SAN Disks 2 network then again from network 2 SAN disk on TSM storage pool. VTL no solve this situation. in 9 years rounding in TSM services, I never had this questions!

Back