TSM LAN-Free Agent

chad_small

ADSM.ORG Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.tsmadmin.com
So we have a Storage Agent setup in a shared library environment that stopped backing up successfully. The server was just moved from the old backup network to the new backup network. The TSM server and Library manager instances run on the same server (no LPAR). The Server to Server definition has them talking over the old backup-network (I could use loopback but either works). So the LAN-Free agents lists the new IP on the TSM server and lib manager (so they were both updated). Now when it attempts to backup the agent gets a communication failure. IBM is telling us the TSM servers have to talk over the same backup network as the san agent...I don't recall this ever being the case. TSM servers are version 5.5.3 as is the agent. Here is the error on the TSM server. Not seeing any on the lib manager.

04/17/11 14:21:48 ANR0454E (Session: 1292614, Origin: DB39220_SA) Session
rejected by server TSMLIBM, reason: Communication
Failure. (SESSION: 1292614)
04/17/11 14:21:48 ANR9778E (Session: 1292614, Origin: DB39220_SA) Unable to
establish a communication session with the primary

I can't change the server IP since I have other SAN agents on the old backup network and again I dont recall this being an issue with other TSM servers I worked with. It doesn't say its an authentication issue so....is it the IP used between the TSM server and TSM Library Manager?

OK so when running the storage agent I get the following:

ANR1794W TSM SAN discovery is disabled by options.
ANR0408I Session 2 started for server STGTSM2 (AIX-RS/6000) (Tcp/Ip) for event logging.
ANR0408I Session 3 started for server STGTSM2 (AIX-RS/6000) (Tcp/Ip) for storage agent.
ANR8215W Session open with XX.XX.57.200 failed as unreachable.
ANR0454E Session rejected by server TSMLIBM, reason: Communication Failure.

So the storage agent connected to the STGTSM2 over a differnet VLAN than the VLAN TSMLIBM is defined to STGTSM2 on. Weird.... So the storage agent is being told to connect to the library manager on an IP it has no connection to even though TSMLIBM is on the same network as STGTSM2 (the TSM instances reside on the same AIX server). IBM said to change the server HLaddress to get it to work but then that would break all the storage agents that use the primary backup network. ANY IDEAS?

Hi Chad,
Maybe you can clarify the setup. I don't really understand it. So, your TSM server has more than 1 IP address correct?
Can you post the Storage Agent devconfig.out file?
Can you post q server <storageagent> f=d?

Rudy

So here is a diagram

Drawing1.jpg

So IBM is saying that the LAN-Free is failing because the LAN-Free client connects to TSM over BACKUP-LAN 2 and the two TSM server instances are defined using TSM LAN 1. Its weird because the library client can see the client but the client is told to connect to the Library Manager over the main BACKUP LAN and it doesn't have a connection to it. If I change the server to server definition to BACKUP-LAN 2 every LAN-Free agent using the main BACKUP LAN will fail. I thought the server to server definition wouldn't matter since the Storage Agent is defined with its HLAddress on TSM PROD and the LIBRARY MANAGER but for some reason TSM tells the client to use the SERVER to SERVER defined IP. My only other recourse is to switch to defining the server to server using the public LAN and management wont like that.

Hi,

well - IF I understand your problem ...
Do you have BOTH TSM servers (LManager and LClient) defined in devconfig.txt of the STAgent? If not (LClient only definition), then LClient provides STA with the LManager address from Backup1LAN (which is wrong). But when both of them are defined it should use the one from its configuration.

This is how my config looks like:

dsmsta.opt:
DEVCONFIG devconfig.txt
SERVERNAME LCLIENT

devconfig.txt
SET STANAME stagent
SET STAPASSWORD <hash>
SET STAHLADDRESS <sta_IP>
DEFINE SERVER LCLIENT HLADDRESS=<LCLIENT_IP> LLADDRESS=1500 SERVERPA=<hash>
DEFINE SERVER LMANAGER HLADDRESS=<LMANAGER_IP> LLADDRESS=1500 SERVERPA=<hash>

Let us know

Harry

Hmm, I don't Harry but will try it. I've never seen that discussed in any IBM doc. Do you have a reference? I didn't think the STA allowed the DEFINE SERVER command.

Last edited:
Hi,

yes, but this is not what I am talking about - just run "dsmsta setstorageserver ...." twice - once for LMAnager, once for LClient - this will create the entries in devconfig.txt
Then delete the SERVERNAME LMANAGER from the dsmsta.opt (as SERVENAME XYZ was added for every "dsmsta setstorageserver" command and if you do not delete it then the last one is used)
Now the storage agent should contact the servers using the info in the file (alteast I think so ...)

Harry

Hi,

well - theoretically yes, but as you need to put the password in the hashed form .... try it :) time to discover something undocumented :)

Harry

Back