TSM Journaling requires a separate schedule for Full Incrementals?

Rhuobhe

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have not had issues with this in the past but do nodes running JBB truly require a separate schedule to do full incrementals once a week or do some of the latest clients automatically refresh the JBB every once in a while.

Some of the literature I've been reading and my counterparts suggests it is best practice to do a regular non journaled incremental once a week, but how would I go about doing this? When I set up the journal engine it only lets me choose the filesystems to journal and does not give me an option to specify a schedule on certain days. Is there an option I have to set somewhere?

My nodes are either Windows 2003 or 2008 and most of my clients are 6.2.3

Thank you

Use the "nojournal" option in a separate schedule.

Journal backups follow the forever incremental form, and once scheduled, will always backup this way.

The suggestion to do non-Journal backup (full) every week or so is the right way to go to avoid missing files that may have been bypassed by the JBB engine when it goes out of sync. And yes, you need a separate schedule for this and a different opt file.

Thanks for your replies.

So the seperate schedule is to avoid missing files? Does it re-sync the JBB engine every time it runs a non-journaled incremental?

If the journal DB for some reason doesn't contain a file that needs to be backed up, that file will never be backed up because TSM client is telling the TSM server to just backup what the journal indicates, instead of scanning everything.

So, a "nojournal" disregards that a journal even exists. It doesn't re-sync with the journal DB.

The file that was not in the journal, is now backed up by a no-journal backup. The journal engine is still monitoring the filesystem, and if later that file changes, the journal will see that change and create a record of that file in the journal DB. If that file never changes, it will never be in your journal, but doesn't matter because you already backed it up via the no-journal method.

If you restart the journal service doesn't it have to complete a full backup before it returns to using the journal thus not needing an additonal schedule. I am just curious if this would work also since in the Windows world some believe it is necessary to reboot the server weekly.

That depends on this setting in the journal INI file:

PreserveDBonExit
0 = Don't preserve the DB when the Journal Service is restarted, and it will act as you've described.
1 = Preserve the DB when the Journal Service is restarted.

It is my impression and half understanding that if you restart the journal service it will do a full incremental anyways and re-sync JBB unless you put an option on the jbb.ini (?) I think it is preserveonexit. (this would be optional)

The only reason I am seeing to put a separate full incremental backup out there is to backup any files that JBB could miss if it is out of sync. But if this is true I do not need to set a separate schedule if I manually go in once a month and reset the Journalism service on each node. amirite?

Thanks for the feedback guys. One thing I have noticed about the journal is that after a long period of time running on windows 2003 it can fail fairly regularly without the reboot.

Ok I am going to opt for not using "preservedbonexit" and setting a command schedule that restarts the JBB service one a month. That should it

Back