TSM halt vs net stop "TSM Server Service"

koolbreeze

Newcomer
Reaction score
We are running TSM server 5.4 on Windows Servers 2003 and would like to schedule a weekly reboot of the server but have been debating a halt command vs a net stop of the TSM Server Service before issuing the reboot command. Is one method preferable over the other or doesn't it matter?

I would script this embedding a test routine to determine if processes or sessions are running, cancel if there are some and issuing a "halt" after making sure that no processes or sessions are active.

This way, the TSM Server comes down clean.

By the way, when I had TSM Server on Windows 2003, I never had to schedule weekly reboots. I monitor system resources (using IBM Director) and reboot manually as needed.

If you insist that you need to do this weekly, script the the TSM Server shutdown as I described it above.

Last edited:
I do agree with moon-buddy. You don't just want to kick your running TSM server down regardless of its current sessions and processes.
You could be in for some trouble (open files containing running processes, ports in use, volumes in uncertain states) if you just halt it and expect it to come up every time nice and steady. It will work for 99 times out of a 100, but don't push your luck :)

Just script the weekly halt as described by moon-buddy. And, as stated, a weekly reboot of your TSM server shouldn't be needed. Unless your hardware is buggy or undersized. TSM itself for sure don't need it.

You should also check q mount and not leave any volumes mounted on drives. Be sure to put "cancel ses all" in your script too.

Back