TSM for virtual environments

Q

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I am running esxi 4.1 update 1. Two of my servers are under vsphere, the others are stand alone hosts. I installed the TSM for VE on 2008 R2 server. Do I need to present the SAN to the windows server, or just access the vstorage API? If I have to access the API how do you do it?

vmware recovery agent??????????

I got the backup of a VM to work. I cannot restore a file. When I mount the snapshot, it only lets me mount MBR's and the option to mount all is grayed out. To do the restore it says to launch the vmware recovery agent. I cannot find this software to install? Any help is greatly appreciated. It also wants me to mount it to an iSCSI target?

Hi Q,

don´t worry, there is a vmware recovery agent. It´s just called mount. You could open the desired volume and mount it directly on the tsm server and extract your data. Alternativ you could install the vmware tdp on the virtual machine you would like to recover, it will restore the full partition in seconds!
Seems like some kind of fast back server implementation, thats the reason why only mbr stuff is working...

For a full recovery just use the normal ba client.
btw, be careful with the recovery agent, I missed the restore part in the manual and killed my tsm database while testing the restore. Thought it would do the restore to the vm....

greetings oli

Last edited:
According to tsm support you must modify the config file to allow for restore from tape. I got one server to backup and restore a file. I got another to backup, but when I try to restore a file I get access denied to the file.

Had to mount the volume read/write.

Last edited:
Where do I get the recovery agent for file level restores? I am able to backup and restore full VMs but I can't get file level restores to work (Windows). Teh user guide mentions a recovery agent but that is not part of the tdp for vmware setup.exe I have.

Back