TSM for Virtual Environements (7.1.2) - Agentless backup of SQL server with two instances

Bisback

Newcomer
Reaction score
In the TSM version for virtual environments, we have the option to make a backup of a MS SQL database server without installing the TSM TDP for SQL client onto the server (Agentless backup).

This is working fine for server with one SQL instance, but the problem starts when we have two instances configured on the SQL server. Because one of the pre - requirements is that pipe name need to be configured, like this \\.\pipe\sql\query But this is not possible for a server with two instances, the second instance will not accept the setting.

So is agentless possible when a SQL server with two instances?
Are do we need to install the TDP for SQL for this server?

Thanks for the feedback.

Not sure how agent less is really helping in any situation. Agent less is a wish, in my opinion, unless there will be unified way of making seamless APIs that would understand everything. Unfortunately, companies have their "pies" to keep as these are what keeps them afloat.

In short, install TDP for SQL. You will get better control and can sleep better knowing that the DB is reliably being backed up.

Last edited:
Hello Moon-Buddy, Thank you for your reply.
We have already implemented agent less backup for a customer.
All the testing I have done with Agent less backup and restore very are very promising.
It's really working to make a consistent backup of your SQL environment.
The only thing that I have not seen yet is how to backup and SQL server agent less with two instances.
@ IBM they told me that this is working without the TDP client for SQL.
I hope I will find somebody that has already implemented this.

Hello Moon-Buddy, Thank you for your reply.
We have already implemented agent less backup for a customer.
All the testing I have done with Agent less backup and restore very are very promising.
It's really working to make a consistent backup of your SQL environment.
The only thing that I have not seen yet is how to backup and SQL server agent less with two instances.
@ IBM they told me that this is working without the TDP client for SQL.
I hope I will find somebody that has already implemented this.

Are you doing point-in-time restores or just 'archival' (historical) restores?

TDP for SQL offers within the last hour restores which cannot be done by agent less DB backups.

Back