Reaction score
Hello,

Currently on our TSM server, v6.2.3, our standard SLA for File Versions are:
Versions Versions Retain Retain
Data Data Extra Only
Exists Deleted Versions Version
-------- -------- -------- -------
3 1 31 90

We will be implementing TSM for VE 6.4 soon. Given that VE 6.4 does Forever Incrementals based on daily backups rather than individual files, does this mean in order to keep a deleted file for 90 days with VE the management class will need to have VERExist=nolimit and RETExtra=90, as it says in this wiki FAQ?

Thanks for any advice!

Joe

I would not implement a daily 'incremental forever' methodology for TSM for VE.

I struggled with this for a long time in 2011 and the best way of implementing TSM for VE is one FULL backup every week, or every two weeks or every month depending on how frequent your system changes - OS and application changes, how frequent you patch, etc.

Mind you, TSM for VE is a pain in b**t to implement.

However, with careful planning and choosing the right implementation method, things can be controlled.

Last edited:
Hi Joe -

You are correct. In TDP for VE 6.4 it counts each incr backup as a version, from the user guide "The retextra parameter specifies the maximum number of days to retain aVM backup version".

I believe Moon-Buddy is referring to the way 6.3 worked, and I would agree, it was a pain. 6.4 is so much better. Good luck! and let us know if you have any other questions along the way.

Back