TSM for Sharepoint

rallingham

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
http
Very soon I will have to install and configure TSM for Sharepoint. Now I did something unusual in that I sat down and READ the 126 page manual.
From what I can see you tell Sharepoint to interface with the TSM Server, using the TSM Storage, but really there is nothing else.
The scheduling of jobs is done from DocAve and there is nothing from the TSM Server. So I guess what I am looking for is WHY would I use DOCAVE for TSM? You have a DOCAVE Server, a DOCAVE Media Server and a DOCAVE Client. If you are dumping the data to the Media Server are you then just backing that stuff up from TSM?
Obviously I will have to re-read the manual as it is not clear, but I see very little need to have TSM involved.
If anyone has any opinions on this please post them. If I am off track, please let me know.

Look at it from this point of view....if you already have a TSM environment in place, complete with monitoring, offsite stgpools, prepared for DR, etc, etc.
Why should you not give the SharePoint data to TSM? In such a situation there is no need to maintain a special DocAve server for the backup data of SharePoint.

And you're right, at this point in time TSM for SharePoint is just the OEM DocAve software with an IBM logo on it. Hopefully it will integrate some more in the future.

From what i know, and IBM told me this. IBM is a reseller of DOCAve.. So the integration into TSM is unlikely to happen. TSM for Sharepoint will be a bridge between DocAve and TSM... The complete integration would happen if IBM buy DocAve... I hope the will buy DocAve..

My 2cents

In this presentation the basics of the Sharepoint Application, how TSM protects it, what is the function TSM for SharePoint provides and what are the benefits of using TSM for Sharepoint vursus the built-in product that cames with sharepoint are covered.

This should give you a good look into the advantages of using TDP for Sharepoint over the built-in tools.

http://tsm-symposium.oucs.ox.ac.uk/2007/papers/Jarrett Potts - TSM for SharePoint.pdf

I've been using TSM for SharePoint for a few months now in a large SharePoint environment. There have been a number of issues, and I still have a longstanding PMR open with Tivoli (next web ex session with Ave Point scheduled next week!), but I think most issues have been ironed out with the new version out (5.4.5 as IBM calls it - not IBM and DocAve have different version numbers for the same code!).

It is quite a complex to setup and there are a lot of options for which I found the documentation insufficient to make informed decisions, however, I still do think it's the best product on the market to backup SharePoint with TSM.

Just bear in mind that if you are not using 5.4.5 you have to dump the SSP from SharePoint and do a flatfile backup of it. SSP is integrated into TSM for Sharepoint in 5.4.5

My experience so far just trying to get a quote... is IBM-TSM has a very hard time with getting their arms around licensing. I've gotten a different answer from 3 different folks.

As DocAve from AvePoint ... licensing & pricing is pretty clear.

I just want to backup my SharePoint environment in the easiest way.

In the TSM environment I do know one caviot. TSM "data" is not able to be vaulted in a NetApp "Valuting Setup" ... as I'm told.

We are in the process of quoting it out as well. I don't think its all that complicated. You need to determine how many PVUs your sharepoint agent servers have. Typically this is only the web servers. The DB server doesn't require a SP agent.

A typical average size box or VM will be about 200 PVU. On average the actual cost will be about $189 for 10 PVUs.

Most people will also need a VM to run the DocAve Server and Media Server.

Last edited:
Jeff, actually it did get more complex than that.

IBM has a "Processor Matrix" depending on the type and model of CPU, they charge different "points" for it.

I don't remember what the final number of points is, but if you'd like the IBM/TSM/SharePoint person I talked to... I'd be happy to give it to you "off this board"

Let me know

keep me posted too, you & I may be the only ones trying to do this "as I type" ... LOL

JLH

^ Oh I got all that... we are running our web servers on two ibm blades. The blades are dual core two socket zeons (not Halo) so it turns out being a quad core box at 50 pvu per core. Tricky maybe ... maybe not. I updated the pricing I mentioned above ... depending upon your "big shot" level pricing may vary. For us its around $190/10PVU.

Where do you download the TSM for Sharepoint? I'm not seeing this client at IBM FTP Passport Advantage or FTP site. Additionally, where does everyone stands regarding TSM for Sharepoint? i.e. your Sharepoint administrator is happy with it and/or are you using it or simply dump the database onto a file and backing that up? (no need for TSM for Sharepoint).

Thanks.

Mike

A sales representative will need to release the trial code to you - there is not a public link available.

I've gotten through the DocAve 4.5 IBM-TSM (yes we have to use this version because we're still using TSM v.5x) this PDF is only 126 pages.

It talks about using a DB2 server, on page 13, Item #6. and again on page 14, item 7. WHY?

I'd sure like some "guidance from the group" as to how they used this setup?

Thank you!

JLH

We just completed our evaluation of leading SharePoint backup tools. It was narrowed down to Quest Recovery Manager and TSM for SharePoint. TSM for SharePoint came out on top.

We are currently going through the purchasing process but I should have my hands on the product fairly soon.

IRT your question.... I think the DocAve non IBM OEM version will need a database but the IBM OEM version will use TSM storage and DB for operations.

I'm sorry for a probably dumb question, but somebody said there are no dumb questions... right? :)

We just purchased the license for TSM for Sharepoint and I'm in the process of downloading the files from the IBM PassportAdvantage site, which is taking ages.
I'm entitled to TSM for Sharepoint v.6 and previous versions as well. Our server is still TSM v.5.5.3.

Question: can I use TSM for Sharepoint v.6 (=DocAve 5.1.2.0 I guess) or do I have to use the previous version? (I guess previous version is IBM v. 5.4.5 = DocAve 4.5.?? - I'm getting really confused with those ambiguous versions...).
I've gone through the DocAve manual, but found no reference to a minimum TSM version requirement.

Thanks!

Meanwhile I've searched for an answer to my question but haven't found any. Forum gurus, please...

I'd like to bring this thread back to life.....

We finally received our TSM for SharePoint license (DOCAVE V5.1.2.1) I have performed an all in one install on a VM. I also installed the agent on both SP webservers.

Current questions....
1. Do I need to install the agent on the DB and Index server?
2. When trying to see item in the sharepoint farm I get the following:

Error :SP2007 Browsing failed:Exception:Operation aborted (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80004004 (E_ABORT))

Is there any way to find out what server or access level is causing this error? Example is it my DB, farm, or site access?

At this point I cannot even run a backup from the Data Protection tab because the tree won't populate.

Follow up....

1. No
2. Result of not have SysAdmin rights on the SP DB server. DBAs tried to provide permissions that they thought we would need rather than what was asked for. After getting system admin rights the error went away and tree populated.

Make sure you make management class 1 version for 0days 0 days if deleted. Also you may need to understand the restore process that it does with Content databases if you do site level restore. Make sure you have enough C:\ drive space on Agents since that is where it will cache the backup before sending to TSM and also for restores.

Back