TSM for Mail annoyance

spiffy

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Ok,

i have been running TSM for MAil 6.4 now for a while, on an exchange 2010 DAG. it works good when it works, but terrible when a slight problem happens, such as vss errors or this one that annoys the bejesus outta me

My backups run against the passive copies of the databases. i have 3 servers with 11 databases spread across. the databases are not always passive on the same dag node. so i just use the option to excludeactivedag in the cmd file.

Now the problem/annoyance i have is say i am backing up a host with 4 passive dags on it, it gets to about 1TB backed up, which is 3 of the 4 databases, then some stupid error occurs, be it a vss error, or a out of scratch tape error. well the whole job fails. and with that the exchange logs on the 3 databases that successfully backed up dont get flushed, then the exchange logs fill up the drive and exchange crashes. (circular logging is NOT AN OPTION)

why cant the developers of TSM for mail add a switch in there, that if the backup of a database is successful, FLUSH THE LOGS.

THis is one of my biggest annoyances. I havent seen anything in any roadmap that will allow that option, but i would love to see it.

anyone else have this issue?

You have the option to run the database backups in parallel by starting each on its 'shell'.

If that db fails, then it only affects that db. This means scripting the backup so it triggers n number of backups for n number of databases.

I will probably end up doing that, even though it seems redundant to have that many scripts. it would be easier just to have IBM put it in their code in the next maintenance release... just saying is all.

Back