TSM DRPLANFILE and testing a TSM server restore

dna1110

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I am reletaviley new to TSM so please bare with me.

I have a TSM server on AIX. We will be going to DR test location In August but they are wanting the DR Plan by the end of the month. I have attempted multiple times to do this to no avail.

Question 1. Is it posible to use the DRMplanfile and use onsite storage? I have all data needed onsite and would like to keep from recalling tapes from Vault if not neccissary.

Question 2. At a DR situaton we have only 6 Servers Windows and AIX that we need to restore. These are in their own Management class and Offsite storage is it posible to recall only these Tapes through TSM?

Question 3. We have The new version of Sysback that works with TSM in hand. If I use this version of Sysback and route through TSM will the tape be bootable or will TSM be required to read the data from these tapes also?

Question 4. How do you keep sane using this product?

Question 5. IS the GenerateBackupset a valid command to use before going to a DR site? (Is the systemstate included with this) If not what/when is this command applicable.

Thank you four your assistance in advance,

Hi --

I will attempt to answer your questions, but first please review a previous posting which broadly describes the recovery process. The thread is dated Feb 6, 2004 and called something like "Recover using the DR plan file".

Now to answer your quesitons:

1) No, you cannot use the DRPlan file with ONSITE storage, as these are marked destroyed during the recovery. You must use your offsite storage volumes.

2) Possibly, but a real headache! Best action is to get all tapes from offsite and have them available at the DR test. You don't want to be at the test and not have a volume you need to complete a restore.

3) TSM (by itself) CANNOT do bare-metal restores, it appears that the Tivoli name on the new versions of sysback is a marketing issue. You still need Sysback to perfrom the recovery.

4) You can aquire sanity by doing several things: first, take some of the educational classes on the product. TSM is differant than every other backup product I have EVER used. Second, learn to automate everything! Third, the redbooks and this website are great sources of information.

5) I assume you are talking about recovery of the windows servers. I would suggest that you look at the redbooks about this, as the process must be done in the correct sequence, and with the right software on the client to make this work.

Redbooks can be found at: http://www.redbooks.ibm.com

If you have additional quesitons, please feel free to post them here,

Andy.

Hello.

I have a question regarding the DRM plan file for DR test.

Can I send a copy of my DRM plan offsite on CD and be able to

use this for recovery of tivoli??

Thanks, RWARD

Hi All,

How do you expire the DRM files??

I have set to retain only 7 days.

Recovery Plan File Expiration Days: 7 Day(s

And I run a delete of rfile but still accumulates continually.

Thanks

These files are only expired automatically if you are storing them on virtual volumes on another TSM server. You'll need to keep deleting them manually.

Curtis

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>Hi All,

How do you expire the DRM files??

I have set to retain only 7 days.

Recovery Plan File Expiration Days: 7 Day(s

And I run a delete of rfile but still accumulates continually.

Thanks</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Ummm ---

Yes but..., please refer to the thread called "Expiry of DBB and plan file issue"

on May 7, 2004 for further discussion on this topic. It in this same section.

Andy.

Back