TSM Device Drivers and Solaris

dwellington

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi There,

Is there anyone out there who has utilise A SUN STK L500 Taoe Libray with SDLT320 Taoe Drives with TSM Before?

I am currently trying to confogire TSM version 5.4.1 to use the SUN STK Tape Libray and I am getting nowhere. I have followed the Admin Guide steps throrughly and I keep getting the same problem.

The problem is that after I reboot the SUn Server, I can see in the /DEV/RMT directory there are many entries, including 0 0b 0bn 0c 0cb 0cbn 0cn 0h 0hb 0hbn 0hn 0l 0lb 0lbn 0ln 0m 0mb 0mbn 0mn 0n 0u 0ub 0ubn 0un. If you run TSMDLIST you can see in the output file messages:

error getting config info for /dev/rmt/0lb: Inappropriate ioctl for device
error getting inquiry info for /dev/rmt/0lb: Inappropriate ioctl for device

If I then run autoconf followed by tsmdlist again the output file becomes empty.

Also, in the /DEV/RMT directory, 0lb and 0lbn disaapear.

I have installed the TSM Device Drivers twice now and nothing seems to make any difference.

The question is, has anyone seen anything similar before and if so, can you help out. Please bear in mind that I am not a Solaris Administrator.

Thanks in anticipation....David
:(:(:(:(

OK . . this is pretty big. There can be a million things that are wrong here. Let's start at the bottom . . .

1. What kind of tape drives are these?
2. Are they fiber attached?
3. What type of HBA's are you using?
4. Did you install the IBMtape tape drivers yet? Have you set up the mt.conf and lb.conf files?

Please update us with this and we can try to get this going.
sERGE
[email protected]

Sergio,

Thanks for trying to help out, I do apprciate it.

One thing that I am not clear about here is the use of the IBMtape device driver. From reading the admin guide, I am thinking that in order to drive the SUN STK SL500 Tape Libarary with SDLT320 tape drives you use the supplied TSM Device Drivers.

But. I must admit I could be wrong as this is the first time that I have worked with Solaris and The SUN Tape Libary.

Regards
David

[email protected]

The reolution in this case was to put " " around the wwn in file LB.CONF and MT.CONF such as:

name="mt" parent="fp" lun=0 fc-port-wwn="500104f000946ed9";
name="mt" parent="fp" lun=0 fc-port-wwn="500104f000946edc";
name="mt" parent="fp" lun=0 fc-port-wwn="500104f000946ed3";
name="mt" parent="fp" lun=0 fc-port-wwn="500104f000946ed6";

Hope that this helps someone in the future.

Back