TSM Device Driver autostart after reboot

i2r

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hello friends!
Setting up HP MSL4048 Tape Library on RHEL 6.9 with the TSM Device Driver (Spectrum Protect V7.1.8).
"/opt/tivoli/tsm/devices/bin/autoconf -a" defines neccessary links:
/dev/tsmscsi/lb0 --> sg7
/dev/tsmscsi/mt0 --> sg3
/dev/tsmscsi/mt1 --> sg4

I can successfully define all paths to the Library Changer and tapes in TSM.
Everything is fine until the first reboot.
After the OS rebooting, the TSM Device Driver doesn't start automatically.
So, i have "Library initialization failure" in actlog, and should issue "autoconf -a" again.

According to the Administrator's Guide: "IBM Tivoli Storage Manager for Linux, Version 7.1.1"
page 95:

{Note: You must rerun the autoconf or tsmscsi script to reconfigure Tivoli Storage Manager devices following a restart.
In general, the Linux SCSI generic driver is preinstalled to the kernel. To verify that the driver is in the kernel, you can issue the following command:
> lsmod | grep sg

If the driver is not in the kernel, you can issue the modprobe sg command to
load the sg driver into the kernel
.}

But while i issue "modprobe sg" after the reboot, it doesn't change anything (/dev/tsmscsi/* devices-links doesn't appear).

I'm confused, does the IBM really suppose manual driver starting (autoconf -a) after each reboot and UPD PATH each time?
Who has similar experience with the non-IBM Libraries?
How did you get the TSM Device Driver start (load the sg driver into the kernel) automatically after the OS reboot?

P.S. APAR IC46255 describes a simillar situation:
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg1IC46255
IC46255: ADMINISTRATOR'S GUIDE FOR TSM SERVER ON LINUX DOCUMENTATION FOR LOADING TSM DEVICE DRIVER MISSING.
The problem occurs when the TSM device driver is not loaded into the Linux kernel.
After a reboot of the OS, customers must load the TSM device driver into the Linux kernel before starting TSM server.

But still can't find a solution.........

This is a Linux issue and we have lived with this for years.

Create a autoconf -a routine as part of the startup preferably the last one of run level 3.

Reactions: i2r
This is a Linux issue and we have lived with this for years.

Create a autoconf -a routine as part of the startup preferably the last one of run level 3.

Thank you for your reply, dear moon-buddy!
Next question: can anyone, share such startup script for RHEL 6, plz?

That's how i made the script starting on reboot:

vi /etc/init.d/autoconf
#!/bin/bash
# chkconfig: 2345 20 80
# description: run '/opt/tivoli/tsm/devices/bin/autoconf -a' command at startup.

# Source function library.
. /etc/init.d/functions

# code to start app comes here
# example: daemon program_name &
daemon /opt/tivoli/tsm/devices/bin/autoconf -a &
exit 0

chmod +x /etc/init.d/autoconf
chkconfig --add autoconf

chkconfig --level 12345 autoconf on

You can see the template i've used, here: https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/20357/how-can-i-make-a-script-in-etc-init-d-start-at-boot

Back