TSM DB never configured.

vayala

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Theres a TSM server 6.x with no TSM DB backup configured ever.
TSM DB is now almost 1 TB, what could happen?

Thanks.

VA

I find that hard to believe. The most common thing with no DB backup is that the active log and archive log gets full, at that point, DB2 shuts down because it can no longer function. Either the archive directory is extremely large, or there is very little activity on the server.

The 2nd thing that could happen is that if you have a hardware failure, or the server gets damaged (fire, hurricane, flood, etc.), then you have no way to recover.

Whatever your plans are this week, I'd make sure getting a DB backup is at the top of my list if I were you.

Steps are here: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowl...bm.itsm.srv.install.doc/t_srv_prep_dbmgr.html

Check with Q DB F=D to make sure there was actually no backup. You'd see that with:
upload_2016-1-20_8-38-33.png

Yes I know its hard to believe, I didnt configure that TSM server, there are no administrative scheds and no manual db backup job has ever taken, Im worried if something happen during the db backup, they will lost everything.
They gave about 2 TB fs for DB and about 1 TB to log, thats the reason TSM still working.
Do you know if there are issues regarding backing up a huge DB like this?

Thanks in advance.

VA

Do you know if there are issues regarding backing up a huge DB like this?
A lot less than with not backing it up. May need/want to use multiple streams if you find it takes to long to backup in a single stream.

there are no administrative scheds and no manual db backup job has ever taken,
That doesn't mean no backup is taken though, an automatic backup can still be done.

Check Q DB F=D:
upload_2016-1-20_11-23-43.png
If you have a device class specified, the TSM Server will do automatic database backups before the logs get full.

You can also check: Q VOLHIST TYPE=DBB to see if a DB backups exist.

Back