TSM - data protection for MS Exchange not working (freshly installed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bostjanc

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Greetings!
Fresh Exchange 2010 server installation:

Download & installed:
6.2.3.0-TIV-TSMBAC-WinX64.exe
6.1.3.3-TIV-TSMEXC-WinX64.exe

When I click Ecxhange client GUI I receive bunch of messages and client does not opens:
1st message:
ANS0101E Unable to open English message repository 'tdpeslv.xt'.

2nd message:
ANS0102W Unable to open the message repository tdpeslv.txt
The American English repository will be used instead.

3rd message:
ANS0113E Message repository 'tdpeenu.txt' has an invalid control record.

4th message:
Starting the client using default English language

5th
s Re0053E

The English repository reference should be in the TDP for Exchange and BA client directories. Double check you installation. If needed, reinstall.

Unbelivable.
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoc....itsm.mail.exc.doc/dpe_tsk_ins_langpacks.html
does not give me any good information.

A lots of Googling gave me a current conclusion that we need to install first :
Tivoli Storage Manager for MAIL version 6.1.0.0 (CZ1Q8ML.exe)
and then we need to push the fixpack (6.1.3.3-TIV-TSMEXC-WinX64). I was soo unhappy when I have installed firstly 6.1.0.0 version and ran the Exchange Client - GUI. I got an error there's no dsm.opt file? Ok why is there no DSM.OPT? What about any wizards or sth similiar?
I have installed/reinstalled/uninstalled million of times soo I'm not quite sure what would be the right approach.
Imagine you have a fresh Exchange 2010 and you wish to make TSM backup, what would be the right steps?

* First I have installed: Tivoli storage manager backup client Version 6, release 2, Level.300
* But when I needed to instal tsm for exchange I'm just stucked.
Is CZ1Q8ML.exe even the right installation pack? There are no license key in it.
Can someone please give me the right hyperlink where can I download the right version as an IBM partner?
Giving me some tutorial, step by step instructions would be more than appreciated.

Unbelivable.
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoc....itsm.mail.exc.doc/dpe_tsk_ins_langpacks.html
does not give me any good information.

A lots of Googling gave me a current conclusion that we need to install first :
Tivoli Storage Manager for MAIL version 6.1.0.0 (CZ1Q8ML.exe)
and then we need to push the fixpack (6.1.3.3-TIV-TSMEXC-WinX64). I was soo unhappy when I have installed firstly 6.1.0.0 version and ran the Exchange Client - GUI. I got an error there's no dsm.opt file? Ok why is there no DSM.OPT? What about any wizards or sth similiar?

The DSM.OPT file must be created first in the BA client side, then use the sample for the TDP side

I have installed/reinstalled/uninstalled million of times soo I'm not quite sure what would be the right approach.
Imagine you have a fresh Exchange 2010 and you wish to make TSM backup, what would be the right steps?

* First I have installed: Tivoli storage manager backup client Version 6, release 2, Level.300
* But when I needed to instal tsm for exchange I'm just stucked.
Is CZ1Q8ML.exe even the right installation pack? There are no license key in it.
Can someone please give me the right hyperlink where can I download the right version as an IBM partner?
Giving me some tutorial, step by step instructions would be more than appreciated.

You need to use the CD to install the TDP for Exchange to get the license agent. Downloads do not have the file agent.lic (or similar).

Thank you for your answers.
I have managed to install and configure this version.
Although I found something new and that is, that Exchange 2010 does not support Legacy backup anymore and we will need to use VSS backup.
In previous Exchange 2007 version TSM SERVER "called" a scheduled event on client. This scheduled event was calling two bat scripts.
One was
excfull_LEGACY.BAT
set exc_dir="C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\TDPExchange"
cd /d %exc_dir%
echo Current date is: >> excfull_LEGACY.log
date /t < NUL >> excfull_LEGACY.log
echo Current time is: >> excfull_LEGACY.log
time /t < NUL >> excfull_LEGACY.log
tdpexcc backup * full /backupdestination=TSM /backupmethod=LEGACY /tsmoptfile=dsm.opt /logfile=excsch.log >> excfull_LEGACY.log

And the other was excincr_LEGACY.bat
set exc_dir="C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\TDPExchange"
cd /d %exc_dir%
echo Current date is: >> excincr_LEGACY.log
date /t < NUL >> excincr_LEGACY.log
echo Current time is: >> excincr_LEGACY.log
time /t < NUL >> excincr_LEGACY.log
tdpexcc backup * incr /backupdestination=TSM /backupmethod=LEGACY /tsmoptfile=dsm.opt /logfile=excsch.log >> excincr_LEGACY.log

I was wondering if we could do it the same for VSS Backup in other words, that we would have also two bat scripts:
VSS_Full.bat
and
VSS_Incremental.bat ?

Can you please be soo kind and give me a hint how could we achive creating thoose batch files or is it even possible?

I saw there's an tdpexc.smp file in TSM Exchange folder. Ok sorry for a noob question and not reading manual (pdf 300+ pages).... Can we achieve calling full and incremental scheduled with this smp file? Or we can still make two bat scripts?

* Server Object Name BU Type BU Dest. Mgmt Class
* ------ ------------------ ------------- ------- ----------
*VSSPOLICY * * * * MCLASS11
*VSSPOLICY * * DIFFERENTIAL LOCAL MCLASS10
*VSSPOLICY * * COPY LOCAL MCLASS9
*VSSPOLICY * * FULL LOCAL MCLASS8
*VSSPOLICY * * INCREMENTAL TSM MCLASS7
*VSSPOLICY * * COPY TSM MCLASS6
*VSSPOLICY * * FULL TSM MCLASS5
*VSSPOLICY * "Human Resources" COPY LOCAL MCLASS4
*VSSPOLICY * "Human Resources" FULL LOCAL MCLASS3
*VSSPOLICY SERVER1 "Accounting" * LOCAL MCLASS2
*VSSPOLICY SERVER1 "Accounting" * TSM MCLASS1

With best regards,

Since there is no legacy method any more, you do not need /backupmethod switch.
You need to set few things between BA client and TDP, since actually BA does the VSS, so it must be granted proxy authority.
I believe rest of script will work as is.

Hi there.
Proxy is already set up. But I still don't understand which script for incremental and full backup of VSS should I use.
Can you please give me some quick-step-guide.
Thank you

Mita201 you are geniuss. That is exactly what I needed.
I have already tried manually running incr legacy script without parameter backup=legacy and it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back