TSM & Data Deduplication

influx

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi All,

I see there are TSMer's out there backing up data to there primary disk storage pools and then offloading to de-dupe devices after the backup cycle is complete.

I'm looking to see how they've implemented this from a logistics view point. i.e. is the next storage pool on the other side of the de-dupe device? Is the copy storage pool on the other side of the de-dupe device?

Does IBM have any recommendations with respect to TSM and De-duplication?

Any information that anyone can provide, or point me toward documentation, would be greatly appreciated.

Thx.

Deduplication is to be added into TSM 6.1 currently due for release in 4Q '08.

There should be some info out there on the IBM Web Site or ask you Tivoli Pre-sales guys, as I know they have the presentations.

Deduplication is to be added into TSM 6.1 currently due for release in 4Q '08.

There should be some info out there on the IBM Web Site or ask you Tivoli Pre-sales guys, as I know they have the presentations.

The kind of du-duplication Leigh is talking about is file level de-duplication. Dedicated de-duplication devices do block level de-duplication.

I think the most efficient way would be to de-duplicate your data before sending it to a remote location.

I'll pose the same Questions in this thread as i have in the others regarding deduplication.

Have any of you gone to a DR Test with deduplicated data and have you suffered any delays when multiple clients are pulling and waiting on the same piece of deduped data? Also has anyone experienced delays when backup stgpool processes are running with deduped data? I cant get get any of the vendors to give me a straight answer so for now dedupe is a no go. The most important aspect of the systems I am architecting are for operational as well as disaster recovery. I certainly dont want to buy into this hype only to find out my backup improvements killed me at a DR. Any help is appreciated Thanks!

Back