TSM Command Line

We have our TSM on Z/OS. I was able to access then command line on my PC with an application someone from IBM gave me.

When you install the TSM client on your PC, go to advanced options, you can install the command line from there too.

Forgive my stupidness here. I'm a mainframe guy. I've got my DSM.opt file where it should be but what do I use as a nodename and password ?

I'm talking the administrative command line. Is that the same thing ?

Yes. dsmadmc is the Admin command line.

Have the following entries for dsm.opt:

TCPSERVERAddress <IP_Address_of_your_MF>

Launch the dsmadmc.exe command and you will be prompted for User ID and Password.

OK I did just the server address and I get this.

Node Name: TO-L05021-XP
Please enter your user id <TO-L05021-XP>:

I enter my user ID and it says unknown or incorrect ID entered. I'm not sure there TO-L05021-XP is coming from. I don't recall ever seeing anything like that.

When you are installing the TSM client, the first or second step asks if you want a normal install or advanced,,,, its not much but here is the note I have for me...

Install Tivoli Client– take the advanced installation, install the Command line option
for console mode at the end of the target line under properties enter
-consolemode –id=’yourid’ –passw=’yourpassword’

console mode just lets you see the messages TSM is putting out, use the same .exe for your Command line (for windows its Program Files/Tivoli/TSM/Baclient/dsmadmc.exe).

I usually create a shortcut to my desktop, right click, properties then add my info at the end of the target field: like this

"C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient\dsmadmc.exe" -consolemode -id=TSMNUBE -passw=supersecretpasswordnobodywillevereverguess

*note -id and -passw have been changed to protect the innocent (or guilty)

Phew !!! Sorry guys, that was painful !! That did it cwilloug. Thanks all for your help.

I just installed a client on a machine,,, its 'Custom' install you want, not the default 'Typical'

It must have changed in the last few versions and I didn't notice...

I figured that's what you meant. After that there was the option to add all the command line files. Once I clicked that I got the dsmadmc.exe file.

Back