TSM Client

rankink

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
In my IBM price guide, I see the list price of TSM EE being about $620 and TSM EE Client being about $65 per processor.

Given an environment of about 10 2-processor Oracle DB/Application servers running Linux (20 processors total) and one system functioning as the TSM Server, how many licenses of each would be required?

The first statement I heard was that 2 TSM EE licenses and 18 licenses of TSM EE Client. The second was that I would require 20 licenses of TSM EE.

Which is correct?

I am thinking:

1 Server license

19 Client licenses

2 TDP for Oracle licenses in addition to the 2 host licenses listed in the 19.

Or get a package deal of 1 Server and 25 clients for a better deal.

Hope this helps

Steven

I've spoken with the IBM rep again, and they are telling me that the client license is only for desktops and laptops running Windows. Is this correct? It would basically change the licensing structure for TSM as I have always known it!

Not to mention it's a ~1000% price difference.

They're statement is that for an environment like that, I would require 20 copies of TSM EE Server. They claim that they have documentation to support it.

Nope I think he/she is mistaken slightly - the TSM client is not nor should not be Windows specific in respect to licensing and pricing. Just because you are running Linux on Windows platform ( I am assuming). What if you are running LINUX on UNIX on HP, IBM or SUN hardware.

I would talk to your Company's IBM account Sales Rep, if you dont have one - get one.

Work with that person directly who knows their stuff and are willing to compile a working package for your environment.

Stick to the basic when speaking with Reps on the phone - get one in front of you ASAP.

good luck

Did anyone get clarification on this?

I'm having the same issue. I was attracted to TSM because I've used it in the past, and the pricing seemed decent. But that was based on the "client" pricing I looked at.

I talked to an IBM rep, who gave me the same story about how "client" doesn't mean what I think it means, and that if I have a Linux server that I want to back up to a TSM server, I really need the normal TSM per processor license (same as what I would pay for the TSM server).

I'm having trouble believing that I have to pay the same price whether I'm running a TSM server on a machine or just running the TSM client to back up to the TSM server. If thats how the licensing works, it seems to me that they really need to stop calling the cheap license "client" and start calling it "desktop" or something, since even in their documentation they refer to servers that back up to TSM as "clients", leading me to think I can buy the reasonably priced "client" license.

Back