TSM Client GUI or CLI does not appear after Installing TSM 5.3 Client in Windows 2003

shahzeb

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I just installed TSM 5.3 Desktop Client in one of my Windows 2003 Server with SP1. After installing TSM Client I did the ritual reboot. Now when I try to do configuration and try bring up the TSM Client Configuration GUI. It does not show up, nor I can bring up the TSM CLI. Interesting part in the Windows Task Manager 'dsm.exe' is running as process. Everytime I click on the dsm GUI icon it keep on adding process in the Task Manager. Been installed several times, and even cleaned the Windows registry.

The same code is working in other server with same configuration.

It is really a unique situation. I wonder is there anybody face similar kind of scenario.

Thanks. :confused:

I see you stated the command line client wont come up? Is this from command prompt or when you click on the command-line client shortcut? What happens when you type dsmc at a prompt? I would check the readme for any other patches needed along with SP1.

How about all of the above. When I type 'dsmc' on the command prompt the Windows just hang, then I have to go to the task manager and kill the process. Checked all the necessary patches on SP1 side and also TSM side. Also just try to just install the latest client patch. No change. :confused:

So uninstalling and reinstalling the client doesn't fix it? Wow! Time to call support it makes no sense to me. I have never seen that happen. Did you try using the Java GUI in the meantime? It might work where others fail and would allow you to get the backups done for now. If you need to setup the client just manually write up a DSM.OPT and then the Java GUI should work. I recently "rediscovered" how handy the Java GUI can be, and many TSM admins tend to forget about it as an option.

Actually yesterday first I created a dsm.opt file and copied to the baclient folder, but still did not work. I have tried all the options that you have mentioned still we are in the same situation. I have not seen like this for past 10+ years dealing with the ADSM/TSM. Called support and it seems they are clueless. :confused:

totaly strange...

did you try removing allentries in the "registry" too?

i think you got to restart properly

we have our every w2k3 in SP1 and the 5.3.4 work good,

try it

Every uninstall we did clean up the registry. Also, did clean re-boot everytime. We have also other 200+ TSM Clients running on Win2003 and they are working fine with the same piece of code. This is the only system we are having this strange problem.

Hi

Any updates on this, i hit this problem too with 5.3.3 Client. Running Windows 2003 64-bit (intel 64-bit) SP1. It just hang ..

Hi all,

I hit the same problem. Windows 2003 64-bit with SP1, 5.3.4 client. After installation, everything worked like a charm, I configured dsmcad and once restored files to this fileserver. And now, i need another restore, but dsmc and dsm just freezes. But regular backups started from dsmcad works. Is there a solution for this?

Like others, two other servers on same HW (blades) works without problems.

UPDATE: After restarting TSM Client Acceptor, scheduler won't start. So I tried to find the root of the problem. After hours I discovered, that VSS is the problem. Tracefile and traceflags all helped me. Now I know, that even ntbackup (from ntexport.cmd for ASR backup) hangs with message Preparing to backup using shadow copy. Even vssadmin list writers hangs for a really long period, but it completes.

Maybe this fix from MS will solve it, I'll pass this to admininistrator of that failing server.

When I issue net stop vss, dsmc q inclexcl works without delay. Maybe some sw corrupted VSS.

Hope this info helps someone else here :)

Back