TSM Capacity

nabildz

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi

How can I check the current capacity of my TSM setup so that I can plan for new TSM clients to be added to the backup ?

Many Thanks for your help

what did you mean with "capacity of my TSM setup"?

are you meaning the occupancy of your backups?

Hi

How can I check the current capacity of my TSM setup so that I can plan for new TSM clients to be added to the backup ?

Many Thanks for your help

If you mean - "can I add more nodes to be backed up?", the answer will depend on many things like:

1. What is your backup window? By adding more nodes, can you meet the backup window limits?
2. How many nodes currently being backed up?
3. How many tape drives do you have? The more nodes, the longer the tape drives would be working. Thus, by adding more nodes, how much longer would backup, reclamation and other tape related activities can go?
4. What is your DB and log size? Are you reaching the 13 GB limit for the log? If you have a log that is near the 13 GB limit, you may want to ran anothet TSM Server.
5. A second look at retention policies - the longer you keep data on tape, the more tape you will have and the bigger your DB will grow.
6. Others....

I would like to know the current occupancy and current available space on the different storage pools if that make sense, so that we would know if we can add more nodes to be backed up

Q STGP will answer most of your questions.

A really thorough answer goes a bit beyond the scope of this forum (and my unpaid spare time).

Q STGP will answer most of your questions.

A really thorough answer goes a bit beyond the scope of this forum (and my unpaid spare time).

Many Thanks for you valuable input " q stgp "

If you mean - "can I add more nodes to be backed up?", the answer will depend on many things like:

1. What is your backup window? By adding more nodes, can you meet the backup window limits?
2. How many nodes currently being backed up?
3. How many tape drives do you have? The more nodes, the longer the tape drives would be working. Thus, by adding more nodes, how much longer would backup, reclamation and other tape related activities can go?
4. What is your DB and log size? Are you reaching the 13 GB limit for the log? If you have a log that is near the 13 GB limit, you may want to ran anothet TSM Server.
5. A second look at retention policies - the longer you keep data on tape, the more tape you will have and the bigger your DB will grow.
6. Others....

Appreciate your effort to clarify these points; we checked and all these are covered, the only concern is DISK POOL size and library capacity, any thoughts please?

Appreciate your effort to clarify these points

Appreciate your effort to clarify these points; we checked and all these are covered, the only concern is DISK POOL size and library capacity, any thoughts please?

Appreciate your effort to clarify these points

This may help for disk pool: http://adsm.org/forum/showthread.php?t=17484

As for the library capacity, you need to calculate how much on the average a tape holds, look at versions needed, retention policies, collocation is there are, and compression. All of these can give you an idea on how many tapes, and consequently the slot requirements, for for library.

Last edited:
Back