TSM backup results in a email notification

tsmhelum

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi

I have a client who would like to get the backup results every morning does anyone have a TSM, AIX or any type of script that I could use that would automatically send him the results of the two backup in a email or something. Also, it could be anything doesn't have to be a script just anything that would send the client results.

Backups MVMBR, MVMCR

Any scripts, links to scripts or any other way in general to get tsm backup results for two servers to a client.

Any suggestions are welcome

TSM 5.5. I use nodegroups for teams that want this type of email. Put it in a simple Q EVENT and put that into TSM Operational Reporting.

q event * * nodes=<nodegroup> begind=-1 begint=18:00 endd=today endt=08:00

I have a script, will try to dig it up and lyk.

Thanks GregE and jomo4tsm, I appreciate your help!

sent a script and input file. We use an input file because we have 100 nodes we report on.

TSM Backup status monitoring
Hello...

We are planning to setup a TSM backups monitoring task for our L1 team with the help of scripts running thro' crontab which can run every 15 mins once on a daily basis...This will be displayed and monitored continuously.. Incase of any backup missed or failed they will be escalating to the next level.. This is the overall idea...

I could only think of this comman but not sure of how to write a script to enable it to run in the foreground:

dsmadmc -id=admin -pass=TSMadm1n -dataonly=yes "q ev * * begind=-1 endd=today" | egrep -i "completed|failed|missed|severed|Started|In Progress|future"

Can anybody suggest some other scripts that can help for my requirement...??
Awaiting your earliest reply in this regard..

Thanks in advance,
Asha

Will send it out this morning. I was out of the office yesterday.

Pete

Here's a mashup of something I use. It should send email only when a schedule is Missed or Failed.

Prerequisite: put username and password into file that is readable only by the user.
Change paths/usernames/timespan as necessary.

Code:
#!/bin/bash

ID=`cat /home/tsminst1/scripts/username`
PAS=`cat /home/tsminst1/scripts/password`

# truncate the file because we don't want dsmadmc to append to it
echo > /home/tsminst1/client-schedules.txt

/usr/bin/dsmadmc -id=$ID -pass=$PAS -outfile=/home/tsminst1/client-schedules.txt  \
 "query event * * begind=today-1 begint=20:00 endd=today endt=06:59" >/dev/null

(grep Failed /home/tsminst1/client-schedules.txt >/dev/null || grep Missed /home/tsminst1/client-schedules.txt >/dev/null) \
 && /usr/bin/mutt -s "Missed/Failed schedule report"  [email protected] </home/tsminst1/client-schedules.txt

Last edited:
If you use the e-mail address field for nodes in TSM you could call that and have specific node failures mail to a specific admin or group. Useful if TSM executes the DB backups but the DB admins manages them.

TSM backup script -- mail notification

sent a script and input file. We use an input file because we have 100 nodes we report on.

Hi budwaiser, could you please share your script?

Thanks in advance!

Back