TSM as hosting solution

psjolin

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
http
Hi,

I am think of using TSM as a hosting solution and need some help and advises about this.

Is anyone using TSM in a hostingsolution where you take backup over internet.

This solution is going to run windows platform and mostly backup windows platforms.

Have some qustions that follows. If you have any advise or time to answer my questions please do.

1. is is possible/rekomendet to use it over internet?

2. Is it possible to backup servral servers/workstations over internet and behind same firewall with only one public ip?

3. Any need to be in same domain?

4. How about certificate and encryption?

5. Disaster recovery over internet?

6. multipli client backup at same time to disk?

best regards

/Peter :)

Hey Peter,

There are many implications of this type of internet solution.

1. First of all, the necessary backup bandwidth bottleneck.

2. It is possible to backup the servers through the internet but there are other security considerations.

3. No, it does not need to be in the same domain. TSM uses its "node name" to classify a server being backed up.

4. TSM does have a 128 bit AES encryption however there are issues with the key management system. There are other solutions like decru and neoscale that can do this for you.

5. Same as #1.

6. Depends on your flow, but its possible.

Thanks for the Answer Medkev

I use to work with backupexec and acrserver and have not realy hade any reason to use a bigge and more expensive solution. And heard that TSM i a bit diffrent compar other solutions. Lot of scripts and no GUI.

If you have time could you please clarify some of the answer that i again made as quesions.

1. we are using netbackup Pro for the moment and are backing upp workstation and servers. Using Block-Level Incremental Backup. Wich work ok. Take some time !!! first time but then... Is not TSM supose to use simulari technic?

2. Would you say that using VPN would be a better solution or?

3. Greate.

4. have not heard about decru or neoscale. It this a vpn solution och backup software?

5. ok

6. Some client have only as low as 0.5 Mbit connection. Then i hope a is multiple client backup would help

/Peter

Back