TSM API Client

tsmlover

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hello,

what is the function of TSM API Client and when we use it

and also tell me that where can i download it ?

Last edited:
The TSM API is part of the downloadable TSM BA client.

The purpose of the API (Application Programing Interface) is to enable other programs to use the TSM functions.

For example, the TDP for SQl, or TDP for Exchange is use the TSM API.

oh i see :) thanks zsoltesz, while installing BA client do i need to select Custome installation and check on API client option ryte ?

Windows BA clients installs it by default.
For Exchange, SQL etc, you need specific client, sometimes called TDP or TSM for databases, or TSM for mail.
TSM API than come with BA client you can use to backup DB2 or Informix, and some other IBM product that has "the rest" embedded in product (like content manager eg.)
Also, you can maybe create some of your programs that leverage TSM API, or use some third party products. There is a guy who create nice TSM client for backing up MySQL db using TSM API.

hi zsoltesz,

I'm trying to perform a backup on a production oracle database to tape using rman and tivoli. Presently,i've been backing up using normal file system backup (ie savevg command: savevg -f /dev/rmt2 -viV oracleDB_vg, aix by the way) to tape. Reading on this, i was told i need to install the following;Tivoli Storage Manager Server Version 5.1.0 (or later),
Tivoli Storage Manager API Version 5.1.5 (or later) and Oracle9i Version 9.2

i have my oracle installed and my tivoli storage manager but in not sure if i have the API installed coz i didnt do the initial installation of these softwares.
pls where or how do i check for this on my servers because from reading, i need it to install Data Protection for Oracle which works with RMAN for oracle database backup to tape.

pkginfo | grep -i tiv will display the name of the installed tivoli packages.
o get further details about each package:
pkginfo -L TIVsmCapi
pkginfo -L TIVsmCba
If you are able to backup the filesystem youhave the api installed (the tsm filsystem backup client uses the api as well)

Good luck.

hello again

pkginfo | grep -i tiv will display the name of the installed tivoli packages.
o get further details about each package:
pkginfo -L TIVsmCapi
pkginfo -L TIVsmCba
If you are able to backup the filesystem youhave the api installed (the tsm filsystem backup client uses the api as well)

Good luck.

hi and thanks for your response but the command pkginfo gives me "ksh: pkginfo: not found", so i dont know if i'm meant to be in particular directory to execute the command. im logged as root on the aix server where my tsm is installed. thanks

hi mita201, im a newbie to this forum. pls i'd like to know how i can get TDPO installed on my oracle server in order for me to perform RMAN backup to tape using tivoli. From reading i was told i need some packages(TIVguid.i386.rpm ,TIVsm-API.i386.rpm andTDP-Oracle.i386.rpm) installed. pls where can i get these packages? and where or which directory do i install these packages on my oracle server? and pls do help me with any link that can help me successfully backup using rman on tsm. thanks

Last edited:
Back