TSM and TS3100 tape library

raychu65

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi all,

I am trying to connect TSM 5.2.3.3 to TS3100 tape library.

So I am define the following:

DEFINE STORAGE POOL:

define stgpool LTO_SP lto_dev1 maxsize=100G maxscratch=5

DEFINE DEVCLASS:

define devclass lto_dev1 devtype=lto library = ltolib1 format=ultrium3c mountlimit=180 mountretention=5 prefix=ADSM estcapacity=100G

DEFINE LIBRARY:

define library LTOLIB1 libtype=SCSI autolabel=no

DEFINE LIBRARY PATH:

define path FTAB03_SERVER1 LTOLIB1 srctype=server autodetect=yes desttype=library device=lb3.0.0.2

DEFINE DRIVE:

define drive LTOLIB1 LTO_DRV1 serial=autodetect element=autodetect

DEFINE DRIVE PATH:

define path FTAB03_SERVER1 LTO_DRV1 srctype=server autodetect=yes desttype=drive library=LTOLIB1 device=mt4.0.0.2

DEFINE VOLUME:

define volume LTO_SP VOL001 access=readwrite

After I configure the devices and define all the above things, then I perform the backup in the Backup client GUI. However, I got the following error:

"ANS5092S Server out of data storage space"

After that I check the activity log, I got the following errors:

"ANR8302E I/O error on drive LTO_DRV0 (mt4.0.0.2) with volume (OP=OFFL, Error Number=1, CC=0, KEY=05, ASC=53, ASCQ=02, SENSE=70.00.05.00.00.00.00.58.00.00.00.00.53.02.34.00.2C.19,Description=An undetermined error has occurred). Refer to Appendix D in the 'Messages' manual for recommended action.(SESSION: 277)"

"ANR8302E I/O error on drive LTO_DRV0 (mt4.0.0.2) with volume (OP=OFFL, Error Number=1, CC=0, KEY=05, ASC=53, ASCQ=02,

SENSE=70.00.05.00.00.00.00.58.00.00.00.00.53.02.34.00.2C.19,Description=An undetermined error has occurred). Refer to Appendix D in the 'Messages' manual for recommended action.(SESSION: 277)"

"ANR8358E Audit operation is required for library LTOLIB1.(SESSION: 277)"

"ANR1405W Scratch volume mount request denied - no scratch volume available.(SESSION: 277)"

My question is:

1. Why I cannot perform the backup? :confused:

2. Is that I forget to set something for this kind of Tape Library (TS3100)? :confused:

3. If I really want to perform the backup, what should I do? :confused:

Cannot anybody can help me to solve this problem, since I am new on the TS3100...

If yu guys can help me, please give me some guideline to make this work. Thx..... :lol: :confused:

One problem I see is in the definition of your storage pool, and device class. The LTO3 tapes you are using are MUCH larger than the 100 GB you are constraining your pool to. The "maxscratch" part is also questionable, why would you cramp yourself like that? That definition says, "Only allow 5 tapes to come from scratch" However, with a maxsize of 100GB you are maxed out before you ever start.

I would set the max scratch up to a high number, at least the number of tapes your library will hold,, and change that storage pool, and Device Class to account for the size of a real LTO3 tape. Even an LTO1 tape could hold 200GB Compressed. An LTO3 Tape can hold upwards of 800GB. The constraints you put on maxsize and maxscratch pretty much limit you to 1 tape in your storage pool.

The size of the LTO volumes really don't matter when it comes to the amount of data the pool will hold. The size only comes into play for the filling rate. If you say a volume will hold 100GB but it will really hold 300GB the tape will read normal filling usage for the first 100GB and then remain at 100% but still filling until it reaches the end of the tape (when it will go to the full state)

Maxscratch is the total number of volumes allowed in a pool. If I have a pool that I want no more than 10 volumes in it, I'll set the maxscratch to 10. This can be useful for such things as a shared TSM server where one client only purchases 10 volumes. More often than not, this setting causes more issues than it helps, so unless you are using TSM in a shared setup, I recommend a somewhat higher number (size of the library plus a few)

To correct the "no scratch volume available" I would suggect you check a volume into the library as scratch. Look into the "checkin libvol" command. Also, it appears that when TSM attempts to connect to the drive, the drive goes offline. I'd verify the device settings in the drive path.

When you set the mountlimit, it should be set to either "drives" or a number lower than the number of drives in your library.

-Aaron

Ray,

I thought Define Vol is used for dev class disk and file? No? Anyway did you checkin tapes into the tape library? I think you might hit a bump like me or may not. I am using the TS3100 as well and i am using TSM 5.3.4. The device wizard could not detect the tape library, hence i need to manualy define the library, path and drives. After defining it and everything is online, it can't check in tapes...

You can see my thread here -> http://my.adsm.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpBB_14&file=index&action=viewtopic&topic=8681&8

The APAR relevant to TS3100 -> http://www-1.ibm.com/support/entdocview.wss?uid=swg1IC50287

BTW are u using RSM? What drivers are u using? And what operating system?

Hope you can shed a light on my problems too :p

Hi raychu65,

how did you solve the problem? Can you write it shortly?

change in the definition of the devclass "format=ultrium3c" to "format=drive". It will be OK

:grin:

Hi,
I'm new on TSM and I encountered similar problem with a ts3100 (fc connected) on windows 2003 sp2 running TSM 5.3.2 (updated to 5.3.5 during the troubleshooting).
There is no working wizard for Licenses, Device Configuration and Volume Labeling and Checkin.
After a few attemps I got TSM finally working in this way (it's a start configuration):

LIBRARY
- verify firmware level
- my data cartridge was unlabeled (barcode label) so I produced a label, using "barcode" (cli gpl program), according to the LTO standard and IBM barcode reader specifications
#Eight uppercase alphanumeric characters, where the last two characters must be L4, L3, L2, or L1
#Label and printing to be non-glossy
#Nominal narrow line or space width of 0.423 mm (0.017 in.)
#Wide to narrow ratio of 2.75:1
#Minimum bar length of 11.1 mm (0.44 in.)
#Cartridges and VOLSERs compatible with the Ultrium 3 and Ultrium 4 Tape Drive
#Cartridges VOLSER
#Ultrium 4 Data Cartridge xxxxxxL4
#Ultrium 4 WORM Cartridge xxxxxxLU
#Ultrium 3 Data Cartridge xxxxxxL3
#Ultrium 3 WORM Cartridge xxxxxxLT
#Ultrium 2 Data Cartridge xxxxxxL2
#Ultrium 1 Data Cartridge (READ ONLY) xxxxxxL1
#IBM LTO Ultrium Cleaning Cartridge CLNxxxLx
my tapes:
data LTO3: TAPE01L3 (bought unlabeled)
Cleaning : CLNU04L1 (bought labeled)
- fill the library with the tapes and put them in slots.

OS
- install IBMTape.x86_6178 drivers for ts3100.
- disable windows Removable Storage access to the library
(stop the service or unflag "enable device" on everything concerning the library from Computer Management\Removable Storage.
This step is necessary to avoid that windows keeps control of the library and this give you the "Err: Magazine Locked" message
when you try to open the I/O Station or release a magazine.
- install Tivoli Storage Manager Server / License / Drivers (no ISC and AC)
The TSM Drivers have no conflicts with IBM drivers on win2k3 and lets you easily see the TSM device names (eg.: lb0.1.0.2)
on TSM management console (TSM Device Driver\Reports\Device Information)
- install Tivoli Storage Manager Client
- upgrade Server and Client at the latest update fix (not interim fix).
There is no real fix for the TSM wizards that still not working with ts3100. The fix remains "configure it by hand".

TSM
- start the TSM Management Console, open the tsm server and complete the steps just to the device configuration wizard,
that I canceled and considered completed (click on Yes button).
- Let suspended the wizards and open the Administrative Command Line (default admin/admin).
My commands:

register lic file=tsmbasic.lic (or file=*.lic . my tsm server was basic)
define library TS3100-1 libtype=SCSI autolabel=yes
define path MYMACHINE_SERVER1 TS3100-1 srctype=server autodetect=yes desttype=library device=lb0.1.0.2
define drive TS3100-1 LTO_DRV1 serial=autodetect element=autodetect
define path MYMACHINE_SERVER1 LTO_DRV1 srctype=server autodetect=yes desttype=drive library=TS3100-1 device=mt0.0.0.2
define devclass LTO_DEV1 DEVType=LTO LIBRary=TS3100-1 format=drive mountretention=5 estcapacity=800G
define stgpool LTO_SP LTO_DEV1 maxsize=800G maxscratch=30
define volume LTO_SP TAPE01L3 access=readwrite (the same name as the barcode tape)
checkin libv TS3100-1 search=yes status=scratch CHECKLABEL=BARCODE
(for a volume already in use status=private)

(you can also choose autolabel=no and use the LABEL and CHECKIN commands, but autolabel is quick and smart to use)

- continue with the wizards
In Client Configuration I changed the pool in standard policy from DISKPOOL to LTO_SP. You can also make a new policy associated to LTO_SP.
- open the client backup gui and do a test backup

TROUBLESHOOT
I largely used the QUERY ACTL command

Hope this helps

Back