TSM and Teradata......

spiffy

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I am trying to wrap my head around a solution that has been proposed to backup Teradata.
Teradata has their own client that interfaces with TSM, so i am not worried there, but here is where i am scratching my head..

The solution has a VTL as a primary tape pool, and a physical library as a copypool. we will retain 7 versions of the backups, however the VTL has been sized out to only potentially hold 2 versions of the Teradata data backed up. they want to hold the other 5 in the tape library.

I dont think this can be done. If i retain 7 versions, there will be 7 versions on the tapepool, and ideally the same 7 versions in the copypool.
I dont think i can tell it to keep the active version and 1 inactive version in the tapepool and keep the other 5 inactive versions in the copypool...

i am right in this .... right?

Sounds like the tapepool is a primary pool. Which would make you entirely right.

Try to get them to explain how it can be done .. and don't forget the popcorn.

one thing i did not think about, is what if they are thinking the VTL (primary pool) is a diskpool per say (why use a VTL then??? i dont know....)
If it is this way, i could use migdelay and hold 2 days worth in the "VTL/Diskpool/whatever crazy thing they are thinking" then migrate it over to physical tape.

This would allow me to have 2 days/versions(assuming it backs up once a day) on disk, and 5 days/versions on tape, but i would not have a copypool

anyway, me thinks i need to sit down with these guys again and see what it what.

Back