TSM and MS Failover Cluster

Wfitzgerald

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I have a client that is trying to configure TSM TDP and LAN on a new MS 2008 cluster that is going to be one of our primary MS-SQL Clusters. IT is the first time we have done this and would appreciate any help we can get. Does anyone know where we can find configuration information on how to set this all up?

TDP 5.5 for MSSQL
LAN Client is 5.5.2
Both will be running on the Cluster that uses Win 2008 server.

TSM server is AIX 5.3 ML 9 with TSM 5.4.2

Thanks

Bill

There is information in the TDP manual. It's not that complicated, except care needs to be taken in configuring the services.

At a high level:

- install the TDP client on local storage of each cluster node.

- place your option file and backup script on a shared resource that fails-over with the SQL instance. This will assure each node has access to it when it owns the SQL instance.

- install a DP scheduler service for each instance of SQL on every cluster node that can own the instance but DO NOT START THE SERVICE (note: you will need to fail the SQL instance over to each node as you are working on it)

- add the scheduler service as a "generic service" cluster resource (if unsure how to do this refer to the manual). I prefer to disable the option on the advanced tab "affect the group". This way if the TSM scheduler service fails it will not cause the cluster to fail-over.

- configure a node on the TSM server. I suggest you use either the virtual cluster server name, or SQL instance name, as to not confuse it with the normal file level backups if performed.

- on each cluster node from a command prompt, change to the TDP install directory and execute "tdpsqlc query tsm" to sync the password in the registry with the TSM server

- from the cluster adminstator mmc fail the cluster over between possible owners to confirm everything is setup correctly, if you experience a failure it is most likely related to the password sync step above.

Here is a link to the manual: http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/pdfs/sg246148.pdf

Hope that helps you out....
~Rick

Last edited:
Back