1. Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING) Click the link to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This message will disappear after you have made at least 12 posts. Thank you for your cooperation.

TSM and iSCSI LUNs

Discussion in 'Backup / Archive Discussion' started by CV1975, Nov 7, 2012.

1. CV1975

CV1975 New Member

Hi,

I haven't worked with TSM since 2007 and we certainly didn't use iSCSI LUNs.
    We have a client with TSM, and are proposing an EMC VNXe3300 as storage for backups of a SAP environment.
    I've run backups of Veeam to iSCSI LUNs as well as Backup Exec backups to iSCSI LUNs, so I have some experience with the iSCSI-part.
    My question is this: Will TSM allow backups to run to iSCSI LUNs (most likely spanned disks in Windows) like a normal backup-to-disk? Or does it need anything else in terms of licenses.

Thanks very much!

3. Harry_Redl

Harry_Redl Moderator

IT Consultant
    Hi,

works, no licenses needed. Unless your LAN is really stable I recommend using FILE device class instead of DISK.

Harry

4. moon-buddy

moon-buddy Moderator

Electronics Engineer, Security Professional
    I agree with Harry.

Use DEVCLASS=file which is more tolerant of network drops.

5. CV1975

CV1975 New Member

It will run on a 10Gbe network so it should be fine.

Thanks guys, I find the TSM information scarce and it would be easier to win the Lotto at times ;-)