tsm and data domain replication

gfester

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi all
I Have tsm server 5.5.3 running on Windows 2003 sp2
also have a data domain appliance 630
We store our backup and archive on the appliance
We then replcate to another dd630 in another building.
I am trying to see how to access the other data domain appliance with tsm
The problem I am seeing is the database is hard coded with all backup volume and archive pointing to \\mbcdd01\backup\tsm\daily\00001234.bfs or
\\mbcdd01\backup\tsm\archive\00009876.bfs what ever i try to do nothing will give me access to \\mbcdd02\backup\ which is in another building.
talking with ibm and data domain is not getting me anywhere.
Has anyone done this? Can you point me in the right direction.

Thanks
Geoffrey

Hi,

exactly - the volume name contains the path - so the only possibility that comes to my mind is to "fool" the TSM by putting the
correct line to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file
something like
192.168.1.2 mbcdd01

(where 192.168.1.2 is the IP of the mbcdd02)

Harry

If I am understanding you correctly you are trying to access the data on your replica DD with TSM.

Brief instructions......

The replicated data is read only.
If you need TSM to be able to access and use the data on the replica you will need to use the 'filesys fastcopy' command on the replica to copy the replica folders to a new folder which will then be r/w. Disconnect your TSM server from the restorer DD and add your TSM server as a client to the replica DD and mount the location of you new folders.

Consider opening a case with Datadomain asking specific instructions on this.

Last edited:
Harry:

Thanks for the infomation.
That what i am trying to do but when it come to mapping the share.

That where my problem start.

Whitepup:

Talking with our admin . He says once we break replication. The share become
R/W. We are using Cifs for data domain.

I have had a case open since February 10 2011.
Very Busy at emc.

Geoffrey

Geoffrey, far be it from me to disagree with your admin, he may know something I don't, but I've never been able to use the replica folder as r/w even after breaking replication.

If you want to see how I've been able to do this go to http://mydd880.wordpress.com/ and see the post about failover from restorer to replica.

Johnny

P.S. I feel your pain about open cases with Datadomain.

Whitepup:

So what is the point of replcating data to another appliance, if you can't uses the data?

Good timing Geoffrey, I just finished some testing on this and was about to update my last post.

There is a difference in breaking (deleting) and disabling directory replication. I was under the impression that breaking meant disabling. Breaking (or deleting) replication will make the folders r/w...disabling replication leaves them r/o. My apologies.

You can use the replicated data, I guess it's just a matter of how you want to use. Keep in mind that I'm not an expert on this but have found what works for me. For instance I once lost my primary DD880 and had to use my replica device until DD came out and fixed it. I was able to use the replica by using the fastcopy command and mounting my TSM server to the replica. This allowed me to continue with backups and restores. I'm sure there are other scenario's.
Also there is a replication restore command that can be used to move data to a new source. I've never used this but will test it to see how it actually works.

Well I finnally got tsm to see the replicated share and to used them for restoring.
it seem we were breaking the replication on the wrong machine.
Also had to bring tsm as application instead of a service.
Thanks for you help.

Geoffrey

Back