TSM 7.1.0.0 copy from another server

krelvin

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
www.tnet.com
I have a TSM 7.1.0.0 AIX based server attached to a 3584 library.

We made a copy of the server and moved it to another datacenter with everything except the database, storage pools and logfiles which are SAN disk space. The library there is not yet upgraded to LTO6 drives yet.

So the new server is setup now to have a similar disk setup as the original (everything is the same except the storage pool size), but no data in them other than the TSM installed software, opt and sys files etc... The library for this server is being upgraded soon to have the same LTO6 drive types.

The new server will use the same type of configuration (management classes etc).

What is the easiest way to get the configuration in the new server which is apparently in the DB not just in the opt/sys files. Is there a way to export that info over a network or does it have to be done via tape.

We only need the configuration information, not any of the backup data. None of the backed up data will be used or restored a the new site.

If I were to do this, I will import the devconfig, dsmserv.opt, volhist files. Next, I will do a DB restore and after delete the DB data (bring up the TSM server and delete all the information). After all is done, I will have an exact replica of the original minus the data from the TSM DB. This process also cleans up the volhist file.

Caveat: the configuration must be similar to the original.

What is the easiest way to get the configuration in the new server which is apparently in the DB not just in the opt/sys files. Is there a way to export that info over a network or does it have to be done via tape.
You can the EXPORT SERVER to export everything, minus the data. Well, not quite everything, it won't export library, drives, paths, device classes and storage pools. It will also import nodes (not data if filedata=none), so you will need to delete them.

You can do it either via TAPE, which will also require an import on the target, or via NETWORK.

You can the EXPORT SERVER to export everything, minus the data. Well, not quite everything, it won't export library, drives, paths, device classes and storage pools. It will also import nodes (not data if filedata=none), so you will need to delete them.

You can do it either via TAPE, which will also require an import on the target, or via NETWORK.
Sounds like what I am looking for, but if I use NETWORK, doesn't the other end server need to be up and running? The hardware is there, but the TSM Server is not running. The library is not yet upgraded yet and not yet connected to the new server so I really can't use tape yet.

Sounds like what I am looking for, but if I use NETWORK, doesn't the other end server need to be up and running?
Exactly, you need to have TSM up and running and configure server to server communication between the 2 servers, then do the export directly.

I guess another way to do it via the network, but considered sequential media from a TSM perspective is to do the export to a file device class, then copy the file(s) over the network to the new server before doing the import. But the server also needs to be up for the import.

Using moon-buddy's method, the server doesn't need to be up, but you still need to install TSM and configure an instance in order to restore it. So similar amount of leg work either way before you start.

Thanks much for the replies... We are upgrading the 3584 library at the new site tomorrow and I will have more options available when it comes online. Most likely will do an export to media from the one server and import to the new server and just remove the nodes.

Back