TSM 6.3 DB Hardware Replication

robinsonjas

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Does anyone have experience replication at the hardware level the db/log vols for TSM 6.3?
We want to 'quiesce' the database and perform a hardware level snapshot (i.e. SVC Flashcopy...etc) and recover the TSM database on another server @ DR. We do this in Oracle today but have questions about the quiesce piece of TSM and how/if it's possible to leave TSM up when the flash is taken. Any tips are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

To 'quiesce' TSM DB means to shutdown TSM.

I replicate the DB2 instance BUT from a PIT basis - DBB full backups.

If you really want to replicate the DB2 instance, why don't you just use mirroring instead of using SVC? Mirror the dbspace with the remote site. Caveat? watch out for propagation delays and mirror 'site' distances.

We do PIT DBB daily, but recover from tape @ DR. Latency is our concern w/ mirror, which is why we have chosen the snap/sync approach. We've tested multiple dirty flashcopies w/ SVC and DB2 does crash recovery and comes up...admittedly not the greatest method though.

We do PIT DBB daily, but recover from tape @ DR. Latency is our concern w/ mirror, which is why we have chosen the snap/sync approach. We've tested multiple dirty flashcopies w/ SVC and DB2 does crash recovery and comes up...admittedly not the greatest method though.

Then the only choice (short of crashing the DB2 instance) is to stop the TSM server while doing a copy.

Another way is to have a local mirror, break the mirror (I believe you can do this on the fly with DB2), and replicate the mirror to the remote site. Still is not 'live' but will shorten the PIT gaps considerably.

So what affect does the DB2 quiesce have on TSM?

I wonder if something like this might work:

db2 connect to tsmdb1
db2 quiesce database immediate force connections
db2 connect reset

*flash*

db2 connect to tsmdb1
db2 unquiesce database

My understanding is that TSM stops working (may crash) when the DB is quiesce when it is busy. You may get away with this when there is no load.

Back