TSM 6.2 DB Restore - stuck on a few things

spiffy

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Good day

I am trying to write a DR plan for my TSM server, having never done a DB restore with the new 6.2 version, i am stuck on a few things.

Pretty much the scenario is our datacenter is wasted by Godzilla. i need to get TSM running in the DR site to start restores. So i have reinstalled the OS (windows server 2008, R2 Enterprise), i have zoned new disk to the new server, zoned the VTL to it too.
I have installed the base 6.2 version of TSM, then the 6.2.3 patch (current in our prod environment). this is part 1 of where i am stuck. It has been a while since i have had to restore a DB, it was quite easy with the 5.x version.

After i install TSM, do i need to initialize a basic setup of TSM, or can i go directly to the dsmserver restore db command? Another thing, the active log and archive log are not available, so i will need to do a point in time restore from the last good DB backup. no problem there, the problem is the work that needs to be done to the volumes, as i read in the admin guide. that could be significant, auditing a bunch of volumes, any way around this? i suppose i could set up a mirror of the log volumes, but disk in the secondary array is sparse as it is....

NOw the way TSM is setup now, the TSM server in the main datacenter center(TSM1) is a library client of the TSM server in the secondary building(TSM2) (these are two separate, live in production tsm servers, each is a library client of the other) The way it is set up is TSM1 has its diskpool and primary VTL tape pool in the main DC, when it needs to perform the copypool processes, it requests a mount from TSM2. Also the database backups go to the VTL in the secondary building, same concept, TSM1 requests a drive from TSM2 for DB backup.
The scenario is the same for TSM2 server (primary stgpools in same building, requests mounts from TSM1 for copypool processes)

I guess when i go to do the DB restore, i obviously will need server to server comms configured and setup so that TSM1 can request the tape mount from TSM2. Has anyone got a setup or tested a restore in a library sharing environment?

I have not had much luck finding any decent step by step documents or white papers on the procedure (i will write one once i test all this stuff for sure) but i was hoping someone could give me some pointers

Thanks in advanced

Hi,

not sure if I can answer all the questions in the way you expect/need it. Will try :)

1) basic initialization of TSM 6.x instance after fresh TSM installation
Yes, you have to do it. And as far as I know, you had to do it even in TSM 5.x (Windows version). In TSM 5.x (Windows) you had to create the instance for having registry keys and services. In TSM 6.x you need this and DB2 instance (which will own the TSM DB you need to restore). So after the Godzilla attack you have to install the OS first, then TSM code, go through TSM instance creation wizard (or follow manual steps for TSM instance creation) and restore TSM DB.
What is important - the new instance does not need to be set up exactly as the old one - you are restoring the TSM DB (DB2 DB) - not the DB2 instance.

2)active/archive log not available - volume audits required
This is the same situation as in 5.x when your RLog was not in rollforward mode. What can reduce the number of volumes to be audited is
a) do not use DISK based stgpools for long term storage - use FILE stgpools instead
b) use "reusedelay" parameter in stgpool definition
These two steps ensure you do not need to audit any volume what was not touched after the TSM DB backup (and none of them was overwritten - the reusedelay parameter)

3)restoring the TSM DB using shared library
Everything you need is in the devconfig.out (server-to-server configuration, library definitions) and volhist.out (DB2 backup identifiers). So the library sharing works even during TSM DB recovery.
But nothing prevents you from modifying the devconfig.out to use the library as it is local - not shared. It is more work (you have to ensure the actual library manager does not use the library at the moment, you need to define library/drive definitions, device paths etc., zone media changer to be visible on this server ...) but doable - if needed.

Hope it helps

Harry

Thanks Harry, that answered my questions exactly!

Back