TSM 6.1 Server change hostname/I.P. address

koutsane

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a client who has a windows installation of TSM 6.1 Server. The client wants to change the I.P. address, hostname and the windows domain. Will these changes to the TSM Server windows operating system have any negative impacts on the TSM v6.1 Server installation?

Help much appreciated

I cant speak for 6.1 on windows but I can for 5.3 on Solaris. This will depend on your configuration. I'm using a shared library with server intercommunications. I had quite of bit of work to do when my IP changed. If your using this configuration, you will have to update the server paths and possibly group members.
Run the command "q server" to check

If your installation is "stand alone" no cluster or library sharing, you might be OK.

I am affraid that your db2 that is a part of TSM 6.1 needs some adjustment after changing hostname. Please check it with IBM before proceeding.

Got this info from IBM support:

The following URL details the steps required to change a Window machine name with a TSM 6.1 Server.
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docvi...57&uid=swg21390057&loc=en_US&cs=utf-8&lang=en

For an IP address/Hostname change this would be the usual scenario.

In the TSM Server:

A) Update server server_name HLAddress = ip_address (Replace server_name with the new hostname and ip_address with the new ipaddress)

In the TSM clients:

A) Modify the parameter tcpserveraddress in the file dsm.sys (Unix) or dsm.opt (Windows) with the value of new ipaddress or new hostname. Stop
the daemons dsmc sched and dsmcad and start them again (unix). Stop the services tsm client acceptor and tsm client scheduler and start them
again (Windows)

In the TSM Storage Agent: (If applicable in your environment)

A) Modify the parameters servername and hladdress with the new hostname in the first case and the new ipaddress in the second case of the file
devconfig.out located in the Storage Agent installation directory. Stop and start the daemon dsmsta (Unix) and stop and start the service TSM
Storage Agent (Windows)

So it could be that you'll need to recycle the clients scheduler service or CAD after the change. You'll need to check the clients dsm.opt file
to see if they specify the address or name. If the hostname was changing, you'd have to re-authenticate all your clients, as the hostname is used as part of the registry key to hold the password.

------------------------------------------

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

Best Regards,

koutsane

Back