TSM 5.5 or 6.1 course?

ebisoba

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
We're currently running TSM 5.5 and we are not upgrading in the near future but I do have the opportunity to take either the 5.5 or the 6.1 training course. My question is how different 6.1 is to 5.5 and if I take the 6.1 course would that cover everything in 5.5? I know 6.1 uses DB2 but in terms of day to day operations would the material in 6.1 help me or should I stick with 5.5? Thanks.

Last edited:
They have added quite a number of features with 6.1 and if you can take it go for it. As for will they cover enough for 5.5...yeah more than likely they will since the day to day stuff will still be the same, and most of the commands have remained unchanged.

ebisoba, you mention you're not upgrading in the near future and you run 5.5. Questions would be, what is your comfort level with 5.5? Have you been administering it for quite awhile and had your head in admin guides and redbooks and have a good understanding and have troubleshooted, etc? If you have, you may want to take 6.1 class, but again you're not using 6.1. If you're new to TSM and you run 5.5, I'd say take the 5.5 course to understand one for one what your working with daily.

If it looks like you'd have the opportunity to take the 6.1 course later, take the 5.5. If this is one shot at it and you won't have another, think about your needs based on what I've mentioned above.

Just some things to think about. Not a definitive answer, but there really isn't one from here. You know your knowledge level, your company, your needs.

I've decided on taking the 5.5 course. I've been administrating it for awhile but don't have a good grasp of the system. I've read a bit of materials on tsm but there are a lot of commands I don't know about and I'm not that good with TSM troubleshooting. Thanks for your help.

I would recommend 5.5 as well. Since your environment is not going to change and you can pick up the new features in 6.x once you mastered 5.5. It'll take years for most corporates to migrate to 6.x (if even).

Back