TSM 5.2.1.0 upgrade causing DLT tape drive errors.

caryacademy

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
OS - Windows 2000

Tape Libraries: ADIC DLT 8000

Some background:

Upgraded from TSM version 5.1.5.2 to version 5.2.1.0

Had a tape drive error: Initialization of tape drive failed.

A q path f=d showed that the tape drive was not online.

Deleted the drive and the library. Re-installing via the command prompt produced the following error:

ANR8466E UPDATE PATH: Invalid update request for drive TAPE01 in library LIBRARY1

TSM tech support couldn't help me - escalated this to 2nd level support.

Was able to resolve this problem via the web interface (go figure!!).

Re-booted server just to be sure everything "took".

Problem resolved, ya think?? Read on:

After re-booting the server, I checked log file - both libraries were online and ready for use - NO ERROR!! I can go home early after all...WRONG!!

Attempted to do a db backup (hand't done one in over 24 hours). Got a ANR4571E error. Tried my copy-pool library hoping to make that the primary library so that I could go home. Got this error:

ANR8311E An I/O error occurred while accessing drive

TAPE02 (mt5.0.0.2) for OFFL operation, errno = 1.

Please help! Tech support is turning out to be no support.

Thanks,

M

DISCALIMER: I have been doing TSM on UNIX not windows, but here's a thought....

You might try updating your tape drive device drivers, and your library drivers. On the UNIX side we alway have to update these drivers everytime we upgrade TSM server from one major version to another.

Might try deleting the drives and drive paths and redefining it. Common with TSM upgrades but support should have done this.

Now, If I recall you might have to play which driver you use. The native windows driver or the TSM driver. I had a friend who was setting up an Dell 136T (really just an adic) with LTO drives and had to play around with allowing the library using the TSM driver (and not the native OS drives). The LTO tape drives need to use the native device drivers (to the OS).

Play around with the TSM Management console. God I hate troubleshooting devices in windows (with tsm)...ugh..

Back